Friday, December 28, 2007

Happy days

New Year’s is a time packed with meaning, so it often disappoints. Much of my life I wished I could spend that night at a party, with adults I loved. Instead, I always seemed to be the designated babysitter, left home alone with my kids and, often enough, the children of others, while the grown-ups went out to party. As my personal consolation prize, and to amuse the children, I started making a chocolate fondue each New Year’s Eve for the kids and for me. I turned the clocks back (so the kids would think it was midnight shortly after their regular bedtime), melted a good chocolate bar with a little cream, and set out an assortment of fruit, pretzels, and animal cookies. My children and nephews still have sweet memories of that, and now I am continuing the tradition with my grandchildren. Somehow, it doesn’t seem like a second-best choice anymore, it is my New Year’s celebration of choice. So on Monday, while others are dressing up, heading out to their fancy dinners and drinks, I will be smudged in chocolate and grinning from ear to ear.

1 comment:

Snowbird said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend New Years Eve to me. Have some chocolate for me too. We will be on the beach by the Sanibel Pier watching fireworks from Ft. Myers.