Friday, February 1, 2008

Across the miles

I have been thinking lately, although it may not show, what a lucky woman I am, all in all, with my wonderful (if colorful) family. In addition to the Namesake, my Carnival child, I also have a son. My son is a Lagnaippe, a word I learned when he and his family lived in New Orleans, because Lordy, he is a whole lot more than I expected or deserved. He and Sweetie, his wonderful green-eyed wife, whom I love like a daughter, and their children, Blue and StinkerPinker, bring peace and joy to my life. They make me laugh. They make me feel appreciated. We are planning a few days together at a Michigan beach this summer and I can’t wait to watch the little ones frolic on the sand (I really can’t wait til they are big enough for their parents to trust me to take them to Sanibel!) So I am blessed with balance, between the Namesake, who is full of surprises, and my gentle, steady son. But my son and his family are in a different corner of my state, snowed in, and my daughter is in an entirely different corner of the country. A good day to hold them all close in my thoughts.



4 comments:

Snowbird said...

Sounds like my family. My daughter might as well be on the other side of the world and my son is on the other side of the state--at least when I'm in Ohio. It's always a good day to hold them in your thoughts.

Jenna said...

Just wanted to say I LOVED your "home is where the kisses are" story. :) :)

gpc said...

You are right, Snowbird, and our kids and grandkids are never far from the front of our minds, are they?!

Thanks so much, Jenna. It's funny, I hadn't thought about those years for a long time, and now memories have come rushing back! I'll have to blog that story soon.

Snowbird said...

Hey Gee, jump over to my blog and pick up an award that you just won!