Monday, February 11, 2008

Unexpected Riches




What a surprise! I learned several things when I returned from my weekend trip to visit the grandkids. I learned (1) that there is such a thing as a blog award, (2) that they are passed on from person to person, and (3) that I was given an award by one of MY favorite bloggers, Snowbird . What a surprise and an honor! Snowbird received the award from her daughter, ShamaLamaMama , whose blog I also read, but I have to say, the daughter-to-mother award was no easy giveaway. If I had a blank slate to choose from, I might well pick Snowbird for an award, too. She is my never-met hero, with her amazing energy and her volunteer work at CROW on Sanibel Island. I am (just) a few years younger than she is, and can barely get my fanny out of bed some days, but she goes for the gusto and is living a life that, in many ways, is my dream. I guess the only thing I DON'T envy is that her adorable grandchildren live even farther away from her than mine do from me!

And now I am supposed to pass the award on to another blogger who has been a treasure to me. This is a difficult responsibility, for a number of reasons. I read several blogs, some of which have reached the ‘famous’ category. I am thinking here of blogs like Pioneer Woman, a fun place to visit if you haven’t done so, but way out of my league; Crunchy Chicken, who has taken the environmental-living dare to new heights (washable wipes and diva cups? Eeeaw.); and no NoImpact Man, the first blog I ever read. But I figure they probably get sufficient awards without an unknown like me adding trophies to their mantles.
Which leads me to InfiniteParentheses , truly a blog-treasure by a busy stay-at-home-mom with surprising insights and adorable photos. I personally know that blogger and you have my permission to question my ulterior motives (full disclosure), but the bottom line is that InfiniteParentheses is my favorite blog of all time and a great treasure in my life. Because she is someone I know, this probably falls into the general category of Shameless Commerce, as the Car Talk guys would say. Even so, I have decided to pay homage to InfiniteParentheses , even though this means blowing my cover because, through this award, she will be the first of my friends or family to know I even have a blog. So Jen, I pass the blog award on to you because you and your blog are both treasures!

6 comments:

Snowbird said...

Thanks for the very kind comments and also thanks for mentioning a few more blogs I can check into. I love Pioneer Woman by the way. Isn't she great?

Crunchy Chicken said...

Hey thanks! I'm glad you enjoy my escapades (I think)...

gpc said...

Hi Snowbird - yes, I sure do love Pioneer Woman. She has a way more exciting life than I do! If I didn't have to work, I would probably explore other blogs all day, people are endlessly fascinating.

And Crunchy, I DEFINITELY enjoy your blog. You have encouraged me in so many ways to be more thoughtful about my purchasing/lifestyle choices.

jennifer said...

Thanks very much. I feel so popular!!!! I have also enjoyed reading your older posts. All of them. The only thing that seemed "secret" was that you replaced ALL of your light bulbs. Congratulations. We are trying to do ours, but to be honest, the color in some of them make us look sick. And with how much we are sick around here, I don't need to add to that! We're still working on it though.

I've passed the award on to Tamara. But you already knew that, I think.

gpc said...

Well, Jen, I should have amended the remark about the light bulbs. I keep thinking I've got them all, then find out there are others I didn't think about. In fact, I just found another one today. There are also a few, like the ones in the fan, that I don't use but that I also can't find a low enough wattage in a replacement. I am willing to look sick and pathetic, though, if that's what it takes!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.