Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mise en place


I was able to harvest two tomatillos today. My poor lonely plant is a single in a cross-pollination world. I feel it's pain, but hope springs eternal - she, at least, still has plenty of flowers, so maybe there will be more fruit in the next few weeks. But clearly I will not have enough for salsa verde.

My plan now is -- after husking and washing -- drizzle with olive oil and roast my two little tomatillos with an equal amount of local tomato. I am not sure yet whether I will merely dust with oregano or mix in a bit of pesto from my freezer. Either way, I will eat it with a bit of whole grain pasta. The tomatillos will stay fresh for a few days, so I will put this off until Monday or Tuesday (or Wednesday), whenever I need a quick work-day side dish or late (very) light lunch.

For those of you who want to join in on the tomatillo tasting, you may now pass go and buy your tomatillo[s].

5 comments:

Tink *~*~* said...

I made pesto on Saturday. Wanna swap recipes? When we both run out, I'll make yours and you make mine and we'll see who likes whose the best!

Tink *~*~*

gpc said...

Love to! this is (roughly) my pesto recipe, except that I rarely measure -- 1-2 garlic cloves, 1/4 c walnuts, 1 packed cup (I have a small food processor) basil (or I also like basil/parsley mix. I am sure I would also like sage or whatever, but have never had enough abundance to work with), 1/3 c grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 c olive oil, lots of pepper, dash of salt -- usual pesto drill, grind garlic and nuts, add leaves, when mostly ground start to add cheese and oil. Clean mixing bowl with a hunk of french bread (my favorite part).

Is your very different?

Tink *~*~* said...

Yes, I use pignoli (pine nuts), not walnuts, and I also toast them before using. The other thing is, I don't add the cheese to the pesto. I think it doesn't taste the same after freezing, sorta plastic-ish, so I add the cheese to the pasta instead, and then put in the pesto. I also leave out the salt, as I find the cheese is quite salty enough. In my opinion, pesto cannot have too much garlic in it. I've never used anything but basil either, so there's probably some experimentation in my future.

gpc said...

I used to use the toasted pignoli and of course that's how I first tasted pesto, but they got too pricey for me when the kids were home and going through tons of the stuff. I occasionally toast the walnuts but am usually lazy and have learned to prefer the walnut taste with the basil. I think I'd go back to pignoli for a sage pesto, though. I first tasted pesto in a canned version, but I must like plastic because I like the frozen stuff better. Even so, I still add extra cheese when I use it with pasta. I can have too much garlic, but never too much cheese! LOL

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,