Sunday, November 9, 2008

Expectations

I have heard a lot this past week about what we expect of President-Elect Obama. People were calling into my local public radio every afternoon to announce their demands, what they expect from the new administration. And the helpful pundits were carefully explaining that we (the people) don't really want the change we voted for -- I heard one guy say on television that we really elected Obama because he is black, and not because he was the best, the smartest, the most able candidate in years.

I, for one, hope that President Obama will use his inaugural address to tell us exactly what he expects of us. We've spent years turning the other way and wishing for someone else to solve our problems. That didn't work, and the problems have gotten bigger. If we don't get our heads, our minds, our hands out of the sand, nothing at all will change. Gather your strength - it's time to get to work. It won't be quick, it won't be easy, and it probably won't be pretty. We will all gain, and we will all have to give something up. Will we do it? (yes, please yes, we will)

5 comments:

The Farmer Files said...

Interesting perspective...how quickly our country has forgotten the ideals of JFK, right? "Ask not..."

gail said...

Exactly, Mrs. Farmer, the same idea, but this time I hope it will include everyone in the effort. During the Kennedy years, a lot of kids were excited and the Peace Corps efforts were wonderful but it seemed to me that the better educated and more affluent kids went into the peace corps, and the poor kept going to viet nam. This time I hope it will be more like I've heard it was during WWII -- reuse, recycle, repair, and lots of do without. Maybe industry could focus then on repairing the infrastructure, and stop making the things we do not need (but can't resist) and that fill our landfills to overflowing. And maybe we could all be proud to do our small part, whatever that part is. (okay, I'm definitely blabbering again! lips zipped :-}

Shama-Lama Mama said...

Yeah, I was going to comment about WWII also. I wasn't around then but have always been amazed by the stories of how people came together (as they do in a crisis) and were proud to do their part, to go without, to hunker down and work together without (much) complaint.

I said to my husband a while back that I believe Obama might be our best hope to get the people of America back into that frame of mind... to WANT to do their part, to CHOOSE to live differently, to be OKAY with consuming less. He could have the power to inspire that in many people. I hope he does. Because we might not survive without that attitude.

I think we need to cast aside the War on Drugs and the War on Terrorism and consider a new War. On Consumption.

gail said...

I hope it happens too, shama-mama lama. I see little signs of the message spreading. The cute little 20-year old fella who fixed my furnace today went on and on about conserving energy and doing without things we don't need and not having houses that are too big for the size of our family. It was music to my ears.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,