Monday, December 1, 2008

Cheering from the sidelines

Lance Armstrong got my attention when he somehow beat cancer after it metastasized to his lungs and brain, even though the experts said it was impossible. Then, just to show them how little we understand either cancer or the human spirit, he won 7 Tours de France to top it off. I've watched the Tour ever since and am often amazed at cycling junkies.

I started reading the Fat Cyclist because I hoped I would learn how a fatty could force himself to exercise. That would be news I could use. Turned out that he is not fat and he is a very serious cyclist. But I found a different kind of inspiration there, as I read about how he and his young children care for his wife Susan, who spent many years caring for them. And, although I am not a cyclist (ha! I am definitely not involved in anything that requires effort!), Fatty grabbed me with his stories of his wife and children and they face her struggle with cancer with incredible courage and - believe it or not - humor. The kind of humor only really courageous people are capable of.

As a result, I am a virtual member of "Team Fat Cyclist, Fighting for Susan," raising money to fight cancer through the Livestrong Challenge.

In addition to "Fighting for Susan," I also dedicate my virtual ride to Becky and Joana, and so many others who are engaged in battles of their own with courage and grace. WIN Susan, WIN Becky, WIN Joana.

If you would like to join me and donate to the LiveStrong Foundation, my team webpage is here. Cancer is another type of pollution. We need to stomp it out.

5 comments:

Snowbird said...

I wear a bracelet that Becky gave me which says We Support Becky. I told her I would wear it as long as she needed me to. It is a daily reminder for me of her struggle and bravery. And it also reminds me of her hubby, kids, mom (Tootie), sisters etc. They are all in this fight with her. Cancer is not a one man fight, that's for sure!!

gail said...

I saw the photo of the bracelets on your blogs -- I think that's wonderful!

Tink *~*~* said...

Got me a Becky bracelet too! Also I'm a survivor (since 1992) so I appreciate what you are doing, gail.

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Tootie said...

Thank you Gail for including Becky in you ritual ride,, and for helping make the world a better place. :-)

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,