Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sanibel, where time passes too quickly



I went for another long walk on the beach this morning. The wind was blowing like crazy inland so I walked the Lighthouse beach again, even though it is never my best shelling beach - I hoped all those waves would blow something in for me.

I saw over a dozen dolphins, including one light gray dolphin who fished near shore, about half-way down the fishing pier. I saw quite a few live sea urchins, a couple of dead horseshoe crabs (does anyone ever see them alive? I have not.) So it was an enjoyable walk for me.

I picked up 19 empty soda cans, one snorkle, part of a mask, several plastic rings of some kind, 3 or 4 red plastic cups, 2 plastic bags, and other assorted trash, until the bag was almost too heavy for me to carry comfortably.

I brought back 2 empty and spineless urchins (I don't know why, I always break them before I get home), a venus sunray, one small pink paper fig, and a handful of scallops for the kids.

I left behind a zillion buttercups (baby), several lace and apple murex, a lovely lightening welk (there were children hunting right behind me and I wanted them to find it since I really have plenty).

There is no place in the world (if you don't include being with people I love), that pleases me so much with so little.

8 comments:

Snowbird said...

Glad you are enjoying your stay but as you said, it does go by fast.

It always amazes me how inconsiderate people are by leaving their trash or if they are on a boat, just tossing it over the side thinking it will sink or not bother anyone. Thanks for picking up what they shouldn't have tossed. I do the same.

Shama-Lama said...

You got me thinking, "ahhh, she is lucky, I miss going to the beach". And then I realized I live in San Diego and need to get off my duff and get out there soon.

Maybe after the craziness of the holidays.

gail said...

I try to convince myself that it is fortunate that I'm not near the beach because, coming down so seldom, I make sure I go down for a little bit each day. (although Tootie puts me to shame, even as a re sident she goes more often than I do when I'm on vacation!) But I am pretty sure I would NEVER get to the beach if I had 3 kids, 6 and under. You will look back, Karen, and be amazed at all you are doing now!

Snowbird, I used to pass trash by just like every other tourist. You and Tootie are a good example for me!

ღ Alice ღ said...

Hi,found your blog through a blog:) Anyway I love dolphins & have never seen any when we go to Sanibel,maybe next time. Thats pretty cool you picking up after people,it's not right,they shouldnt leave things like that on the ground. It really upsets me that people do that,dont they care about what they are doing to Sanibel or any place.

gail said...

Hi Alice, welcome (I love your 'signature'!) I have come to Sanibel in December for 9 or 10 years, and other times of the year as well (I buy one charm on every visit, and have filled 2 charm bracelets!) I walk every sunrise, and sunsets when I can, and I have seen dolphins many many times, usually near the pier at low tide. I have seen other people's photos of dolphins that are amazing, but I've never gotten anything worth sharing! I forget to pick up shells when they are there, I love to watch them.

I agree, the trash is upsetting. I am timing my walks by trash this week, though, and that's been fun. I walk until the bag is full!

ღ Alice ღ said...

Thanks:) Is this the best year you had for shelling? I think I need to fix my setting,I didnt know you wrote back.

gail said...

I have never had a year I considered bad, because there is always something interesting on the beach. If I don't find shells, I see dolphins, or an octopus, or whatever. I love it all.

I guess last year was my best year (so far), though, because that was the year that a junonia washed up with a wave and landed between my feet. I am not as educated a sheller as the women here are, I don't know a fraction of what Tootie does, but I go out every single day for a couple of hours, it's impossible to go home empty handed with that much beach time!

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,