Sunday, December 14, 2008

Shell Heaven





There was a super low tide this morning and the wind has died down so it wasn't as cold as yesterday. I went to the Nerita beach, and - although you wouldn't guess from the few that I picked up -- there were so many shells that I went into shell shock! I pointed the camera down to show the beach every few feet just so you can see. I was too stunned to pick up anything much, although I saw pretty much everything except junonias, angel wings and pink tellins (now that I know what those are!) Big paper figs, big tulips, middle sized whelks and fighting conchs and millions of clicking bivalves, foolishly calling attention to themselves. The birds were gorging on the seafood buffet. I only brought home a few shells -- I should donate the worn cones but I can't pass a cone without picking it up.

Believe it or not, there ARE other things to do on Sanibel Island besides shell. I love Ding Darling and went on the nature drive 3 times this week, and hope to go at least once more. I saw white pelicans, brown pelicans, wood storks and roseate spoonbills. I saw lots of ospreys, two nesting and one flying with a big fish in his talons. I saw several mangrove crabs. Yesterday I saw a dark weasel-like creature running across the road, and of course raccoons fishing running across the road and fishing in the shallows. I do love it here!