Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hello. My name is Gail and I'm an addict.

I was tagged by Snowbird, and now, as a point of honor, I'm supposed to list 5 of my addictions and then pass this on to 5 other suckers .. . . er, I mean bloggers. So here goes:

1. I am addicted to my grandchildren (and their parents). No matter how tired or cranky or achy I feel, they make me smile. Heck, they make me laugh out loud. Like any addict, I am willing to give up pretty much anything (time, job, dignity) to be with them.

2. I am addicted to my MacBook laptop. I feel naked without it. I stay up too late, laugh too loudly, think about places we can go together and things I want to tell it, and lose track of time when we are together.

3. I am addicted to fantasies about how my life could be different. I think about how things would be if I had been smart enough to dump Dr. Cranky when I first wanted to, before he became ill. Or what it would be like if I had traveled when I was young, or if I had dated sooner than 15 years after my divorce or if I had changed jobs or if I had saved more money. I think about how nice it would be to entertain but don't invite anyone over. I think about how much fun it would be to meet people but never leave the house. I think about all the degrees I could - but don't - have, all the jobs I could have - but didn't - do, all the weight I haven't - but wish I'd - lost. I also think about what my life would be like if I spent less time thinking about how things could be different and more time actually doing the things I want and enjoy.

4. I am addicted to sugar. To a lesser extent, I am addicted to food. I can eat too much of anything. But heaven help me once I've had a taste of sugar. Dr. Oz understands, but I don't think he sympathizes.

5. I am addicted to Sanibel Island. Even if I never step foot on it again, I've swallowed enough saltwater and sand over the past several years to consider it a part of me.

So, there are 5 addictions, the tip of my iceberg. I'll save my list-making compulsion, my repeated attempts at homemaking arts, and a whole lot of other addictions for another day!

And now I'm required to pass this tag on -- many of my long-time favorite blogs have already been tagged, so they are out of bounds. But I enjoy a lot of blogs that are newer to me, and I didn't know Snowbird or Tink or Tootie when we first [inter]met, so I guess it's fair to tag bloggers that I enjoy but would not know even if I bumped into them in the elevator.

I tag Keeping it Real at 66 Degrees North Latitude, the first person to show me pickled beluga, AND how to make it, should I ever have the opportunity.

I tag Alice and Her White Rabbit, because she is also a Sanibel junkie.

I tag The Farmer Files -- I have really enjoyed learning about Hawaii from her, a place I never knew I wanted to go until I discovered her blog! I am sure she will bring interesting stories from wherever her family moves next.

I tag Little Black Scrap Cat, because I like cats and because (sigh) she's way more creative than I am.

I also tag A girl and her Dogs, although she might be too busy to read this, let alone make lists. This girl (and her dogs) are busy mushing their way through life - I lack the nerve to even quit my job - as she did - far less to live out such a challenge!

5 comments:

Snowbird said...

Hello Gail! There now, don't you feel better? Sorry for the tag but hey, what are bloggy buddies for?

ღ Alice ღ said...

I finished it Gail :) It wasnt as hard as I thought it would be :)

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Finished mine yesterday. Like your list, too! Have a great day!
P.S. We went to Maui 2 years ago, before Sanibel, and now I'd rather go back to Sanibel than fly all the way to Maui.....on the other hand, maybe it's because it rained the entire week and all 3 of our whale watching cruises were canceled!! I did get to watch them from our lanai with binoculars, though.

Tink *~*~* said...

I knew No. 5 was coming - dunno how I guessed, I think I might have ESPN or something ;)

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

The Farmer Files said...

Aaahhh I am flattered to be tagged...but it may take me awhile! I am so behind and am just now catching up! Happy New Year!