Sunday, January 18, 2009

More whine with that?


After a lovely visit with my northern family (where I was snowed in overnight), I drove home on very slick roads. Almost every half-mile there was a car freshly spun off into the snowy oblivion, lights on and engines running. The drive was a little tense and it was good to get finally home --

But when I arrived, I couldn't get into my driveway -- it took 40 minutes just to shovel an entry and enough of a spot for my car to pull in. At least a billion (if not zillion) inches of snow, I'm certain. Sure, I know that it snows in Michigan, and that I have become sissified by my aching back and creeping age, so I had the foresight to hire a snow guy -- who knew that he would be in jail on a child support warrant during every major snow storm so far this winter?

A gypsy in new orleans told me that I don't rely on anyone for anything, in contrast to my daughter, for instance, who sends frequent "mommy help" messages (and like the pavlov dog that I am, of course I generally respond). I always thought I was pretty self sufficient, it's true, so it doesn't happen often, but today in the driveway I would have been glad to have someone like me to send an s.o.s message to. But I do realize that this is a minor problem, and that after a sore back and a little self pity, I will be fine again.

Some very self sufficient people - not pretend ones like me - are having real problems this winter, not sorry little inconveniences like mine. In Alaska, where temperatures which are generally very cold, have been unusually and horribly cold, native people who live in small fishing villages are suffering this winter, forced to ration food so that they can have enough heat to survive. A number of Alaska bloggers have been trying to bring attention to their plight, which is so far being effectively ignored by their state government, and to raise funds for food and heating oil.

That's the kind of news that generally slaps some sense into me. So I'll toughen up and shovel a path for my functional car on my suburban driveway leading to my 2 1/2 car garage next to my warm and food-filled home . . . but I can't promise to stop whining about it. And I think I might be on the verge of figuring out why I never moved to Alaska, despite its incredible beauty. The village folk who survive on so little, and who work so hard for that survival, have my deepest respect. I think that this will be a sad and diminished world if we can't provide the occasional helping hand so that their traditional ways can continue.

7 comments:

ღ Alice ღ said...

Look at all that snow,I just want to make a snowman ;P

Tootie said...

I'm sure building a snowman was the furtherest thing from your mind. :-)

I hope you get thawed out soon!!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

That's a lot of snow to move. What a nice "welcome home"!! Hope it warms up soon.

Tink *~*~* said...

ugh, sorry you had to come home to all that damned snow. That was a fine howdy-do! When you coming back to Florida?

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Tootie said...

Do be careful on those slippery roads. I hope you won't have to shovel anymore this winter.

ChrisC and JonJ said...

Having grown up in the snowbelt of Western New York,I don't miss any of that at all!Especially the part about having to shovel out the driveway just so you can get in.Yuk!You need to come back down here.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,