Friday, March 20, 2009

Random




I finally had some success making English Muffins (I certainly do impress myself), and the ducks and crocuses are back in Lillian's yard -- hard to believe, but it's beginning to look like spring, sort of. That's the good news.

But here's the bad news. I read today in an associated press article by Audrey McAvoy that nearly ALL of the native birds in Hawaii are in danger of extinction, and then read in the New York Times that 1/3 of all birds in this country are endangered. Loss of habitat - we build, we burn, we spoil - and predators are a great deal of the problem -- feral sheep are blamed in Hawaii (which sounds like a very bad premise for one of those old B&W horror flicks) and house cats are the big problem in my area. There are birds everywhere now, more sparrows and less variety than there used to be, but still. It is hard for me to believe that my grandkids could actually grow up into a world without mute swans and a whole bunch of birds I've never seen and never heard of, but if we don't start to believe it, I'm afraid it could become a reality sooner rather than later.