Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unemployed in Detroit

I am surprised at the mix of relief and stunned disbelief I feel. I have now been unemployed for 3 days. I had hated (no exaggeration) my job and disliked my supervisor's 'vision' for nearly 10 of my 22 1/2 years with my employer (I loved the first 13 years with a different boss, so I guess I was lucky). Ironically, I was eligible for family medical leave time, and had advised my supervisor that I was having difficulty at work, but it felt dishonest to use all my medical leave time until I really had to, so I put it off.

Whatever. I was plotting my escape, and expected to leave at the end of the year, move to another depressed working-class Michigan town where my son's family lives, buy a house and find a job there. Although my Detroit area house is not yet sold, I had chosen the new house and was approved for the loan, and was supposed to close the deal on August 26. Unemployment quashed that plan.

I have been mostly sitting and wondering at how the time flies by. I'm thinking about how many things I wish I'd done before this happened and - shame on me - instead of wishing I'd bought fewer things, wishing I'd bought more while I had the income. But I have taken a few practical steps in my few days off. I've make changes in my house listing and started some home improvement projects to (hopefully) make the sale more attractive. I've applied to begin collecting (meager) retirement benefits at the end of the year. I've applied for (even more meager) unemployment benefits which, in a worse case, scenario, would last until my retirement begins. I've advised my one de facto dependent that I can't afford to help her like I had been. And I've posted my resume and done some job seeking on line.

But I don't know what city to look for jobs in, because I'm just not ready to give up the idea of the anticipated new house. I KNOW what Suze Orman would say. It's what I would say to anyone in my position. But, despite her sound uspoken advice, I am thinking about pooling all my other assets (I received an inheritance awhile back that is just sitting, prudently, in an account) and buying the house anyway, at a ridiculously low price. The way I look at it is, if I'm going to be unemployed and flat broke, doesn't it make sense to be near the grandkids instead of Detroit?

4 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

I do hope you have the luck of Snowbird and your home sells quickly!! Did you bury your saint yet??

Tink *~*~* said...

First -

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* <== some extra pixie dust I had lying around.

Second, I think I'd get the house. You're going to pay rock bottom for it if you act now, and it WILL appreciate in price.

And third - yes, bury the saint!

Tink *~*~*

Snowbird said...

I say go for the house in Flint. You know you want it!! It would appear that there are both good and bad things about losing your job but I hope you take more good than bad from all of this.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,