Tuesday, January 12, 2010

For me? You shouldn't have!

I got terrific presents for Christmas, but you never know, so I prepared in advance by ordering an amazing present for myself.  This beautiful handmade Ulu is from Siksu's Knives in Kotzebue Alaska.  I saw lots of Ulus the two trips where I played tourist in Alaska and was tempted by them because I love kitchen tools, but on inspection I could see that they were poorly made and not for any serious use.  This Ulu, on the other hand, is absolutely beautiful, sturdy, sharp, and comfortable in my hand.   I have not been able yet to use it for the jobs it is designed to do so well (we don't get many moose or caribou here in Saginaw and it is unlikely that I will ever skin a seal), but I've cut tons of veggies and pizza, and love the way it rocks and chops - like a chef's knife is supposed to if you can hold the tip down properly, which I cannot.   I am enjoying its use, but I really think of it as a piece of art.

5 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

It's even personalized!!!

gpc said...

Yes! I didn't expect that, but it was a sweet surprise!

Finnskimo said...

Ooooh, I love the photo! Go ahead, USE it! I use mine to HACK bones in half, HACK frozen fish in half, etc. Its like my hand axe! haha.

heatherljolly said...

I love it! I need to get one of those... My husband and I have been in the market for some good, sharp, knives for quite awhile. An ulaq never occurred to me...

Cat said...

I want one!