Friday, February 5, 2010

Liking list #1

Over the years, people have suggested that I should make a list of things I like, as a way of finding what kind of work I might love.  A brainstorming type of list, with no internal edits, with no concern for whether my 'likes' have anything to do with a particular job description.    I have lots of likes but not very many job skills and I have never seen the sense in this exercise, but I begin my list up here -- does anyone see my perfect job in all of this? -

*I like a drink before dinner.     And wine with my meal.    Both are things I rarely have, because I generally eat alone, and do not usually drink by myself.
*I like to watch people, and animals.   My animal watching has been most fulfilling on Sanibel and in Alaska.    People are interesting everywhere.
*I like to find seashells.    Sanibel is the mother-lode.
*I like computers.   I like to type on them, I like to research things on them, I like to play on them (by looking things up or reading about other people and places).
*I like conversation.    I spent most of my 23-year career alone in an office.    I am mostly alone now.
*I like coffee.
*I like to do volunteer work.   I am more comfortable with real people than with suits.    I have the same qualifications some professionals do and I know that I'm not that special, so I am confused when they seem to think they are.
*I like being in a relationship.    Very few years of my life have been spent "coupled," but it was what I always wanted.
*I like to listen to my grandchildren.  They are endlessly fascinating to me.
*I like the ideas that are involved in philosophy and religions.   I do not pretend to know where the truth lies, but I enjoy the search and am open to all ideas.   I think I am not judgmental about other people's beliefs.
*I like to learn about the ways that people have interpreted their lives and the world throughout the ages; I have great respect for the human spirit and compassion for human hurt.
*I like to write.
*I like natural beauty, the sound of the ocean surf, the whisper of the wind in trees, the colors in the sky, the drama of a storm.
*I like to be by the water, but don't need to do water activities like boating or skiing or fishing.
*I like animals but don't need to own one.
*I like quiet, without artificial noise.
*I like to be alone.
*I like to be with people.
*I am rarely bored.
*I like pretty things, sparkly things, bright things, from frost on a window or ice on a branch to diamonds and sapphires.
*I like peace and harmony; I avoid conflict.
*I like to learn new things and really understand them.  I am interested in almost everything but have no specific passion.
*I like trying new recipes.   It doesn't matter to me so much whether they are successful or not.
*I like old blues, old new orleans-style jazz, the early rolling stones, tim buckley, a variety of music, but I rarely seek it out.
*I like to wear jeans and baggy t-shirts.  It would be nice to be pretty, but I really like to be comfortable.
*I like to know what I am doing, I'm not keen on winging it.
*I like seeing new places.   I always wanted to live in different places, maybe a year or so in each.   That ship has sailed, but I still love the idea.  The first thing my brother or I do when we visit a new place is check the classifieds for jobs and apartments, just in case.
*I like food, too much.   I can over-eat anything, from kale to cookies.   I am addicted to sugar.
*I like to let my mind wander.
*I like to give people presents; I like to give to family of course, but I love giving things even to people I don't or barely know for no reason if I see something I think they'd like (a trait I share with my sister).    The world being what it is, I have to restrain myself in that.
*I like ideas.
*I like to do a job well: when I have an assignment, I will start early and stay late if I have to, and will revise and edit until I think it's right.  When I'm doing it, doing the job well is more important to me than money and, when I do contract work, I mentally charge by the job not by the hour.
*I like to work in spurts.   And then I need to let my mind go somewhere else so that it can work things through without my thinking about it.   I don't know how it works, but the resolution to whatever I'm working on falls into place in a timely fashion, and I depend on that happening.

That's a fair start.   Any job offers yet?

2 comments:

Kristal said...

LOL!! I can't offer you a job, but I like your list! And I can share in your frustration, things are tight here and have been for about 2 years. I am staying at home with the little one, but it's been a struggle. I've opened up the shop on-line, but not much success :0( But I refuse to give in! I too have made list of what I love and am still working on going in that direction with the shop.
Thanks so much for visiting my g blog and adding me to your favs-you brought a tear to me eye! Please stay in touch, and good luck to you! Something will come to you, when you least expect it!!

~Kristal

Gini said...

Hi there GPC,
Thank you so much for visiting me for the OHOW event.
I am not expert in careers, that's not my field of work but have you considered working in a shop to start with?
Preferably a craft shop or similar, so you can meet local people in a constructive and non- embarrassing way, earn a bit of money and hopefully regain your confidence enough to try something else if you want to.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a happy and successful 2010, once you find your feet again.
Best wishes
Gini
A little bit of Shiny blog