Friday, April 30, 2010

Greasy concerns

I went with my son and grandkids to the city park today.   The weather was perfect, the kids (and I) had lots of fun.   On the way home, one of the kids blurted out of nowhere, "go to Florida, grandma."   Then both of them explained that they need me to go and get some more shells; "at least 3 different kinds," my granddaughter specified.    I guess I'd better figure out how to plan a trip, it's totally out of my hands.

The truth is, I am worried about how the BP oil spill will affect Sanibel.   I am already scouring the web  to see if they are calling for volunteers, wondering if I can swing a trip if they need willing hands to help with a clean up.     I want my family to see the island I love on our trip in December, and - selfish as it sounds -- it scares me that some greedy oil company might rob us of that.     I want them to get this spill resolved quickly, so that I can just worry about hurricanes again!

5 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

I'm right up there with you, Gail. I'm very worried and concerned about conserving the island(s) that I love. We are set to go in October, but we haven't bought air tickets yet. We are staying tuned to see what we can do. Not sure I can pull off any volunteer time, with my hubby's current surgical situation. But he'd sure send me if he could! He is actually reconsidering and thinking about going with us in October, which is a huge turn around for him!! I'm hoping we can pull it off!

gpc said...

I already have my tickets for december, now I wonder if I was too eager. But whenever you go, I sure hope your hubby goes with you, LBSC. Shelling is sort of Zen, don't you think, with the rhythm of the waves?- it has to be good for our health and I'm sure it would be a good stress reliever for him!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Hey there. I'm pretty sure we will go in October, regardless of the oil situation. It will have to be pretty bad to keep me away. Yes, I do hope my hubby will join us. He claims to get bored while my DD and I spend so long on the beach, but he loves to read and listen to his MP3, so hopefully he'll just hunker down on the beach and chill! Only time will tell. At this stage in the game, he can't wait to get back to work. Hopefully he will be released tomorrow (at the surgical follow up appt) to go back next week.

Snowbird said...

I hope you can come before December but to shell NOT to clean up an oily mess! Plans are being made just in case but fingers are crossed that the plans won't be needed.

Snowbird said...

I hope you can come before December but to shell NOT to clean up an oily mess! Plans are being made just in case but fingers are crossed that the plans won't be needed.