Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Different strokes

I just got back from my 3-day trip to Atlantic City.   I'd never been there and I feared the worst -- but it was fun.    The boardwalk was tacky, of course, but it was also cuter than I thought, and the atlantic ocean is always beautiful.    All my dears came true -- I ate too much, drank too much, and gambled too much (I paid for most of my sister's winnings with my losings, I think!).    But on our one day on the beach,  we got beach chairs and an umbrella, a new experience for me -- I  could have sat there all week!   Not many shells, except lots of broken clams and mussels, but I found dozens and dozens of mermaids' purses, some of them quite large.    (I'm holding one up for the camera, it was as long as my hand!)  Many of them were intact but I found a couple smaller ones that were open on one side, indicating that the tiny skate had already hatched and escaped.   My sister and her friend were not impressed, but I was thrilled to be able to add them to my collection!

3 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

How cool! I've never found one of those. Perhaps in about 6.5 weeks??

Snowbird said...

I've found a couple of mermaid's purses over the years. I can't believe you found that many. Apparently most of them hatch on the Atlantic rather than the Gulf.

Glad you had fun on your trip.

Nan said...

You know I never have seen one of these Mermaid's purses. Do you think they have them in the Pacific ? I'll have to look into that.