Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Feeling old

Bobby Hebb died today.  He was 72.    When I was a kid still in high school (and as innocent as a 3 year old), he was the first black person I ever talked to -- imagine such a world! He serenaded me with his new hit "Sunny" in a hallway in Cobo Hall in Detroit at a "mod wedding" put on by Dick Clark.  I was so flustered.   Unless you are my age, you can't imagine what a reckless experience this felt like;  I didn't know whether to be flattered or horrified, or whether he was just making fun of me.    A more worldly girl, a more confident girl, would at least have gotten a photo!    As it happens, my only witness was my little sister.   My gosh, that was such a long time ago, and it has been years since I even felt a glimpse of the girl I once was, the girl with a world of open doors in front of her.

No comments: