Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fish fear me

I went fishing this morning, my very first time.    I signed up for a local class and went on a river trip today with my teacher and two classmates.   Two hours of fairly solid casting.    When I got home I was (to my surprise) exhausted from the combination of activity and fresh air, I guess.    I got to put into practice everything I learned about casting in our classroom and "grass casting" session.   This is how it worked for me:  cast, walk over slippery rocks until I got close enough to un-snag my fly from seaweed or rock, repeat.   At least I didn't fall in several times like one of my classmates did.   There were tons of fish, we could see them through the very clear water, but we scared most of them away.

This is definitely a skill that will take some time to learn.  My cast is so lacking in power that  little red damselflies stayed on my rod for the ride the whole time.     I am convinced that the bubbles on top of the river were from fish laughing at me.   I could see them doing it.     It would be an understatement to say that I am not good  yet at keeping my line tight.   I kept forgetting to keep the tip of the rod down.   I got into many tangles, and was an embarrassment, I'm sure, for any fisherman to be seen with.   

But I loved standing in the middle of the river.    We fished with both wet and dry flies and I had hits on both, but enjoyed the dry fly the most.   I had several strikes and was able to watch the fish actually take the fly and then swim away (my line was too slack), but only landed one enormous fish -- it must have been all of 3 inches long.     The fish looked as stunned as I was so I was able to easily unhook and release it, which had been one of my big worried.    If I ever go alone I will definitely flatten the barbs on the hook to make it even easier to remove, although that will also make it easier to lose them, I guess.    We picked up rocks to look at nymphs and such, so we could match our flies to the food sources.  My (very kind) teacher said I am really getting the hang of it but maybe need a little practice.   It was fun but I think he might be right.   For sure I caught more seaweed and trees than anything else.   It's a good thing I don't need to feed myself.

3 comments:

Nan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have never had the pleasure of finding yours and I see you've had it since 07. I've never fished myself and I see you just took it up. Hope you are going to enjoy this new sport.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Fishing is FABULOUS!! Though I must admit that I don't fly fish. I just LOVE to fish! I can't wait for the weather to cool down (we're still seeing 109 temps here) so we can get the boat out and fish again! Keep practicing and you'll be *hooked* on fishing! Perhaps in the end you will be able to feed yourself...

Cat said...

Congrats on doing something challenging!
Sounds like fun.