Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Spuds and the good stuff

Some not-good things happened today, but for now I'm going to focus instead on the many nice things that happened instead.    I have a sneaky feeling that the not-good stuff is only going to get not-gooder (which is to say, worse), and there will be time enough to dissect it later.


I harvested one of my potato pots today and uncovered quite a few russian banana fingerling potatoes (which are pictured along with the usual harvest assortment of delicious tomatoes).   My grandson expressed surprise when he saw how they grew along the root, and my granddaughter, watching me pull them from the dirt, announced that she was only going to eat grocery store potatoes, NOT potatoes from farms or gardens.    I pan-fried a few in a little olive oil and thought they were delicious.  As usual with a successful harvest,  I wish I had planted more.   But maybe next year I will plant a variety that looks more like those planted by our local growers, so they will have the more familiar "grocery store" look!

Speaking of my grandkids, they spent the night last night, our first since I've been in this house.   We spent hours doing little art projects, painting birdhouses and making fingerprint pictures.   (With Care Bears DVDs when I needed to just SIT!)   Cookies and sleeping bags and endless games of bad guys and heroes.   I had so much fun, although I was soooooo tired when they went home.   I never feel younger, or older, than I do with those little bundles of energy!




I got a surprise package in the mail from one of my former coworkers today, too -- a dehydrator to preserve some of my summer fruits and veggies, and to make jerky if I get ambitious.   What a sweet surprise, it is so nice to be remembered and it will be fun to try this new (to me) technique.   I'll stop at the farmers' market today to find some local fruits and try drying them first.   I hope the farmers still have some berries to sell!

4 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Your potatoes look lovely. Even though they don't resemble the "normal" grocery store potatoes! My SIL used her dehydrator to make fruit leather. Maybe you can find some of those Michigan peaches and try that as well...

Cat said...

Yummy potatoes.
We started dehydrating last year and our tomatoes taste like candy when we dry them.

gpc said...

I picked up some peaches today, LBSC, to try your suggestion. Any other hints on what has worked well for you, Cat? Thanks to both of you!

Cat said...

You cut thicker than you think you will need to as they are mainly water.