Saturday, September 4, 2010

Light up my life

Last week I bought a set of little solar light bulbs on clearance.   I charged them right away, and finally hung them today -- no simple feat since I am not tall enough to reach the hooks where I wanted them to hang.    I stood on tiptoes on a little step ladder and then used kitchen tongs to lift the lights up onto the hooks that have been up above my little back yard patio since before I moved in.

I live a pretty routine, pretty boring, quite isolated life.   Since I am no longer working, and since I live alone, most days I go many hours without talking to or seeing other people.  So my thrill level is set pretty low, and maybe it doesn't take much to impress me.   Which is not such a bad thing, all in all.

Because tonight, when the sky started to get dark, and my lights lit up, I almost cried.   I had (typically of me) forgotten all about them by then, so it was a wonderful surprise to see them, like a little gift from the night.

It was no big deal.   But it was nice.     Sometimes I like being easy.

6 comments:

Snowbird said...

We have twinkle lights on the gutters around our deck and I just love them. I'm glad that you have yours up.

gpc said...

Sno, I think Florida was the first place I saw little lights everywhere even when it wasn't Christmas. Maybe that's what I like about them!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

It's the little things that seem to get over looked these days. We, too, have clear lights strung around our back patio year round. Sometimes I forget they are there so when I plug them in we are all delighted! Enjoy yours!

Nan said...

We do outside lights here big time in Alaska as our daylight deminishes in the winter so lights make us all happy. In the far South of Alaska we go down to 6 hours of daylight which isn't all that bad really. Right after Halloween the lights go on and we enjoy them until Valentine's Day.

gpc said...

I've only been to little bits of Alaska, and only in the summer. Little lights must be really magical in the winter time! I know they are pretty here in Michigan, but I rarely see them since they're only lit at night. That's an advantage of long 'nights' that I never thought of!

Cat said...

Your so lucky, I love the little lights. I have a husband that doesn't like them, thus I don't have any up, just my old ones sitting in a box.