Monday, November 8, 2010

Easy money

Sometime fairly early this year, I started saving every $5 bill that came to me in change.    I was surprised how rarely they turned up, probably because I so rarely spend cash.   And, although sometimes it was annoying to run out of money before I expected to, it was surprising how many things I decided I really didn't need, so it was no huge sacrifice.   Last night I decided to open the piggy bank to see if I had enough for a little shopping trip to Toys R Us.   I figured I needed about $75, because I could get a $10 gift card if I spend that much and I do love those free gift cards, and if piggy had that much,  it would feel like I was spending free money AND getting money back.   Gotta love that.
It wasn't easy to empty piggy, because the rolled-up bills were lodged in her head and neck.   But it was worth the effort.  Would you believe there was $320 inside?!     Toys R Us was open last night until 10 p.m., so THIS little piggy went out and bought some toys!

5 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Now that trumps saving quarters any day!!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

As it turns out, we did a little shopping at Toys R Us today too. We got a couple really great deals. Buy I wish I'd had a little pink piggy hanging around before we went!!

Don said...

I have heard a variation of your $5 theme, where you save every $1 bill. If you break a larger bill, you must not spend any of the $1 you get in change. This does two things. It forces you to save, and it makes you think twice before you break the larger bills.

Peanut said...

Just joined the blog!

gpc said...

Welcome, Peanut! I hope you will visit often!