Friday, December 17, 2010

Shells!

Even though it was not a great shelling trip compared to years past, I found some nice shells.  In fact, when I got them all out and spread out, I wondered why I had complained at all!   Truth is, I probably should have only picked up half a dozen, but here is what I brought home.


Some were tiny:
 Some were a little bigger (and I found a nice operculum):
 There were lots of bubble shells:
 There were whelks (including one pretty nice one):
 And venus sunrays:
 And coral:

And the stuff I found at Blind Pass -- including some cones and a bit of junonia!:
And of course I always pick up things that are orange:
And some were gifts from a Sanibel friend who has a shell collection as beautiful as her warm and generous spirit:
 Wow, that's the good thing about taking pictures!   What a wonderful shelling trip -- who knew?!

2 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Isn't if funny how on a daily basis it doesn't seem like the shelling is that great. But when you put it all together, it's really quite nice!! You did very well. Love the big whelk. You got some nice tulips, a fab nutmeg and a moon snail that looks just like the one I found in October. I've never found an operculum. The kings crown were a very nice gift!! I've never found one of those on Sanibel. I hear you have to go "off the beaten trail" to find those. Thanks for sharing.

Tink *~*~* said...

Nice little collection - you did well :) Next time you come, I hope I'm not off having an adventure in a different part of the state!

*~*~*