Saturday, February 12, 2011

Peanut-ella


I'm in Sugar Shock!   Today I made a version of Nutella, (the famous hazelnut spread, only I made it with peanuts).   I saved the recipe quite awhile ago on SmittenKitchen, and decided to make it this weekend, supposedly for my daughter-in-law.    The little ones were spending the night and I thought it would be fun for them.  

Of course, I thought wrong.  It is not unusual for kids' idea of Fun to be different than mine.   As soon as we started the food prep, they found a game they wanted to play so they were not interested at all, either in measuring or in dumping stuff in.   At their suggestion, I poured the stuff into the food processor between turns at a board game, but they were happy to push the buttons (and even a little sorry when that part was over).   We made a good - and more efficient than usual -- team.

I really was not making this for myself because, although I love hazelnuts and chocolate, I don't care for Nutella, so I planned to use the kids as my little testers.   When the peanut-cocoa mixture was smooth and ready, it looked pretty good and they were both willing.   The kids both tasted the finished product and pronounced it 'good,' but they weren't really impressed.   They were much more impressed with our game.     So I had to step up to the plate (so to speak) and taste it myself.   And oh boy, was I in trouble.


There should have been a warning label.  SmittenKitchen should have mentioned that if I tasted it, I would have a hard time stopping.     Oh wait, she did.   Maybe there should have been a BIGGER warning label.   Whatever (not MY fault, right?), I didn't take her seriously.    It didn't help that I have been SO GOOD, virtually sugar free for the past few weeks, so this stuff really went to my head.   When I fall off the wagon, I fall hard, and I have the sugar-high to prove it!  

Go ahead, I dare you.   Make a batch of this stuff and have just one taste . . .  impossible!

Here's the recipe, taken straight from SmittenKitchen's April 11, 2008, blog entry.  The comments are hers.

"Peanut Chocolate Spread
2 cups shelled and skinned raw peanuts
1/2 cup of your darkest, richest unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt plus additional to taste (I used an extra 1/8 teaspoon)
3 tablespoons peanut oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the peanuts evenly over a cookie sheet and roast until they darken, about 10 minutes, rattling them around a bit halfway through to they toast evenly. (If you, like me, were unable to find raw peanuts, just toast them for a 5 minutes to deepen their flavor.)

Transfer the peanuts to a food processor and grind them for about 5 minutes. First they’ll become a paste and will cause any toddler in your midst to have a meltdown from the ruckus. Then they’ll become more of a paste and finally, they’ll liquefy. Scrape down the sides as needed.

Add the cocoa, sugar, salt and two tablespoons of the oil to the food processor and continue to process until well blended, about 1 minute. Add more salt if needed. Add the last tablespoon of oil if the consistency seems too thick.

Store in refrigerator up to a week in a covered container.    When it is full chilled, like peanut butter, it will become thick and a swipe with a teaspoon will leave a telltale impression. Look, I’m just warning you, okay?"

She's not kidding.    This stuff is addictive.

10 comments:

pam @ iLoveShelling said...

YUMMMMM!

Shellbelle said...

OMG! I am in SO much trouble, good thing I don't wear bikinis any more, lol.

I love peanut butter and chocolate and pity those with that horrid peanut allergy (like my son) who will never get to enjoy something like this. That;s okay, it leaves more for me.

Thanks (I think) for sharing.

HHCampbell said...

Oh dear... I love peanuts and chocolate. What have you done! :)
Thanks for sharing.

spindelmaker said...

This sounds incredibly yummy. Must sent the recipe to my 15-year old food-freak-girl. Actually we should make it together. Thanks for sharing!

Jessica @BeforeTheDawn said...

I think I will stay away from this recipe... for now. ;) It does sound good! I have never tried Nutella, hubby thinks I need to try it at least once!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

This looks decadent! I'll bet even my picky eater would try this one!!

Shellbelle said...

Had to come back and tell you about a recipe I came across yesterday. Get ready, this is so bad for waistlines!

Two pieces of bread — Nutella (or the peanut spread) on one and peanut butter on the other. Add sliced banana to one slice and top with the other slice.

NOW, dip the whole thing in egg (like for French toast) and grilled till brown on both sides. Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup.

DECADENT!

gpc said...

Oh my gosh, Shellbelle, let's top it with a little whipped cream (or ice cream), too, as long as I'm having this sugar fantasy! What a time for my doctor to tell me to go low carb!

Tootie said...

Mmmm, looks good!

Tink *~*~* said...

I can't do it. That there's the brownest white food I've ever seen and I just got back from Disney with two extra pounds and I JUST. CAN'T. DO IT.

wahhhh :(

*~*~*