Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cloudy Days and Soapboxes

I love the new birth of Spring as much as anyone, but I do not like the dark days or muddy back yard.     I also am not in love with the early part of gardening, the dirty-clean-up-make-things-ready part.   I am like the neighbors of the Little Red Hen, I love the harvest but really would prefer for someone else to do the work.     It's strange to me that I do not like, not one bit, to be cold and wet in Michigan, but I crave being cold and wet on Sanibel Island, searching for those winter shells and being surprised by those errant waves.   

It probably doesn't help my mood that I am being told of Miracle Treatments that Really Work, that could really make profound changes in someone's life but that are -- so sorry -- not covered by Medicaid.   Oh, and by the way, if I were to go back to work, or win the Lottery, so I could pay for this treatment, the State would take away someone's other benefits, so that maybe she would be cured of one problem, but she would be without food or shelter or medical care.    Thanks for letting us try it out, though, to confirm for our studies that it really does work and to be sure that people in our hospital know for sure that we COULD help them if we wanted to.    I am embarrassed by how we treat the poor and the ill.       I make no claims of religiosity, but I think our self-proclaimed Christian leaders need a refresher course in the importance of "the least of these."  

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am still trying to come up with ideas for an appropriate prize for my 4-year bloggy anniversary giveaway.    I hope I will decide soon so I can let you know!    Remember, anyone who comments before April 11 is in the drawing, and if you remind me that you're a Follower, you'll get a second entry.

4 comments:

Emily@theNest said...

Gail, isn't it sickening? Basically saying that one human being is more "worthy" than another...
I hear you re muddy back yards: they are not my favourite at all, *strangely* though, my youngest two are like two piggies when they see mud- the evidence being tonight when they almost needed to be boil-washed to get them even half clean :)

Carol said...

I came here from Cathy's blog and I can tell by this post that I will find this an interesting place to visit. I live in Northern Indiana near the State Line. If you think your back yard is bad, you should see what my 3 dogs left for me, now that the snow is gone ~not LOL!~

BTW, congratulations on 4 years blogging. Better than FB.

Carol said...

I came back to let you know that I am following now. and thumbed through your blog. Left the wonderful warm for stinking snow. You will never adjust. I often wonder why my ancesters stayed here when they got off the boat and didn't go south. Probably because the climate resembled Poland. If they only knew....

Snowbird said...

Hey you, it's been awhile since I read your blog--or any blog for that matter. But you told me to get over here so I'm following directions!! LOL.

I'm with you on the insurance thing. I am so sick of mine!I had to change doctors because of mine. I have to get my family doctor to tell me that I should get my eyes checked etc etc etc. Ugh! Hope all works out ok for you and her.