Friday, May 27, 2011

Boy Howdy

I got home at 7 am today, about six hours later than I expected.     It has been a very long time since I pulled an all-nighter.   From what I can recall of the one time in my life when I was hung over, I feel hung over.   Which I guess means that I'd better not make any major life decisions today, because I made some of my worst ever that day!   Sick to my stomach, aching in my head, and glad to be in my own house.   

The trip was a comedy of errors.   The airline was pretty good about keeping us up-to-date on what was happening, but the result was that they lost our confidence early on.   "Hey folks," the New Orleans agent said over the loudspeaker, "the flight before you was late because of weather, so we gave them your plane when it got here and we're going to treat your flight as if it's a weather delay so there won't be any compensation."  

"We're going to board now; we took a plane that was grounded because of a mechanical error and we think it's all fixed up now, thank y'all so much for your patience.   Almost all of you will miss your connections, though, and we're all overbooked for the next couple of days."  

"Sorry we boarded you an hour ago, we just realized that no one ever fueled this plane, can you believe it?, and the regular fuel guys have gone home, so we're just going to sit here while we try to find someone who can fill our tank."

"Sorry that fill-up took so long, there was a squabble over payment since it wasn't our regular fuel guy.   He didn't want to take our credit card so we had to write him a check."

Once landed in Atlanta, there were no signs at the gates and no flights on the electronic board.   We all rushed around trying to find someone to ask about where we should be.  "Your connection is at C 16.   No wait, it's at C 8.    Where are you going again?   Oh, you can just get back on the same plane, you didn't need to get off at all."    

"Sorry it took so long to get the door closed.    We realized that a couple of us left our luggage behind so we had to send for it.   Now the ramp is closed because of this little weather cell that just moved in.   We were supposed to beat it but now it's just hanging over.   We'll just have to sit here now until it passes."

The crew was snappish.   The passengers were patient, although one tiny baby howled with anger every time the pilot spoke.   We all knew how he felt.

I'm not happy about any of the way I had to leave things, but I'm glad to be home.

5 comments:

Emily@theNest said...

I'm sure you are exhausted, and this whole trip has been a bit of a drain on your energy, but I really enjoyed in your posts and observations! The airline notitications were HILARIOUS!!!

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

Home Sweet Home!! Nothing is ever nicer - especially after the trip from H***!! Glad you made it home. Sorry to hear the purpose for your trip did not pan out the way it could have. Hope, in the end, that it works out. XXX

sue in mexico mo said...

bummer!

Shellbelle said...

I'm sure you're glad to be home and I hope after all the problems with the planes that your reason for the trip will justify the means. Fingers crossed for you and your family.

My son recently took a plane from Los Angeles to Tennessee, what was supposed to be a non-stop flight turned into an emergency landing. Three more planes and twenty-four hours later, they finally reached their destination.

Best wishes and a big ol' hug.

Snowbird said...

All I can say is OMG, that must have been the trip from Hell!!!