Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Affirmations

After months of complaining that it was Way Too Cold in Michigan, I can now say with conviction that it is Way Too Hot.   I must just be a middle-of-the-road person, I don't think I like extremes of any sort.

But I do like this:  two extremely nice things happened today.    I got a letter from an airline, on whose plane I did not enjoy the Nightmare Flight back from New Orleans last month.    Although I am a big time whiner and complainer, I did not complain to them about the flight.    It was over and I was just glad to be home.    But today's mail brought me their apology and a free round-trip flight!   (I expect that I will still have to pay taxes and fees, and I know derned well that those make up most of the ticket price, but I am not going to dwell on that because any little smack of free is a good thing!)    It was a nice surprise.

I also got the sweetest complement from the mother of one of my patients.   She told me that I am the most spiritually nonjudgmental person she's ever met.   I found that very sweet, especially since I suspect that her life has brought her a great deal of undeserved judgment.    People have sometimes called me "open minded," which always makes me wonder if I have taken a position at all.  But I have always suspected that the most important thing we do to foster other people's spiritual journey is to stay out of their way and let the Spirit do the work, so "spiritually nonjudgmental" is exactly where I want to be, and I was touched and happy to hear it.

As I work on balancing the pie-chart of my  life, I still feel unsettled and uncertain in my new job.   I spend my time in a mix of administrative and practical care.   I visit people every day.   It is a field where there is seldom anything to say, so I seem to do a lot of awkward standing around.   Some people want to hold my hand, some turn their faces to the wall.   Some people want to tell me things they can no longer form the words to express.  Some people want to pray, and I've had reason to call on my Pentecostal upbringing, my interest in meditation and Buddhism, as well as my Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Catholic pasts.     I will conduct (?) my first funeral tomorrow, and the rest of the day will be spent visiting people and wrestling with the horrors of a hospital charting system.   I will be glad when I finally get at least one chart done correctly, start to finish!   

1 comment:

Shellbelle said...

I'm with you on the temperature swings, I like it one way — perfect beach weather! If it's too hot to enjoy, I just want an a/c to keep me company!

I think you're going to settle into your new job just fine and I know that even though they may not have the capability to always tell you so, your patients are grateful for your presence.

The "business" end of it doesn't sound fun, but the rewards are great!

Hugs sweet one