Thursday, June 2, 2011

Crazy

I looked for almost two years before I found a job.   In the beginning, I looked diligently, in the end, I was more relaxed.   But, during my search, I expressed my willingness to drive over 100 miles and stay there during the work week if I had gotten any of the offers that were discussed.    A couple of weeks ago, I accepted my new position in a new field.  A field that doesn't pay very well but where I hope I will be useful to other people.   So it should have come as no surprise that yesterday, out of the blue, I got a phone call from someone at my old employer -- the same employer that cut me loose when my daughter was so ill -- with the offer of a really good job with a ridiculous salary.    My sister suggested that I should consider it.   She would like me to live nearer to her, and she pointed out the practical benefits of a ridiculous salary.    After all, I have barely started at my new job, which is part-time, with a lower salary  and, so far, I don't feel like I'm very good at it, so why not go back to what I know?    I know that what she says makes sense, but I reacted to the phone call as if I were being invited back into a bad relationship after just beginning to heal.     I just said no.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Good for you! It is hard to be out of a job but to go back into the lion's den would be worse, and whose to say that they wouldn't cut you loose again once you have worked your tail off doing what they wanted. On the other side though, you could take the job for awhile, make that rediculous salary and then walk away from them when the project is most critical. Just like they did you, cut you loose, with no thought as to what happens to you. I guess I am still bitter as to what Don's ex-employer did to him.

Don said...

My heart agrees with Debbie.

My brain says you should take it. To me work is a way to pay the bills and hopefully save enough to retire to something I enjoy. I need all the ridiculous salary I can get to be able to do that.

I'm not certain that if I were offered my old job at my old salary or a better salary that I would turn it down. I would like to say I would, but I'm not certain that I would.

gpc said...

I know, Don, my head says I should take it, too. But I am going to follow my heart on this one and try not to regret it later. As Debbie says, I have no reason to trust them to treat me any better this time. And it wouldn't be good for my soul or psyche to play the revenge card, even if I had a chance to do it. I could be held forever with decent treatment, but I don't want to be a person who is kicked and willing to crawl back for more of the same, and that's how I would feel about going back there.

The Farmer Files said...

Sometimes you just can't place a price on your character. Sounds like you know this because you are going w your gut.

Don said...

Not sure I agree with it having anything to do with character.

I figure when we walk through the door with any employer, we are selling our souls. Might as well sell it to the high bidder.

Can you tell I am torn on what I would do?

gpc said...

I understand your conflict, Don, and I certainly don't think taking the job would say something bad about one's character. But, so far at least, I don't regret my decision and am at peace with it. After a lifetime of second-guessing myself, that has been a nice surprise.