Friday, August 5, 2011

Winding Down

Sad to say, summer is coming to an end.   No one says it out loud, but vacation days are winding down.    Although there are a (very) few weeks before school starts, my little granddaughter is mentally preparing for kindergarten, and her class of critters is all lined up and ready to learn their geography.
 My grandson is putting the finishing touches on his impressive collection of sticks, knowing that there will be little time for stick collecting later.
And I am already starting to dread the cold.   There is a feeling in the early morning air that reminds me that winter is coming.    I think that's about as complex as I get -- hating the heat and humidity while, at the very same time, dreading the cold and snow.   

But I guess my brain is also starting to focus a little better, too.   I found my pretty little ring -- the scary thing is, I found it EXACTLY WHERE IT SHOULD BE.    I can't tell you how many times I looked in that very same place and couldn't find it.    But I woke up in the middle of the night and looked again, and there it was.    Freaky.    It is fitted to my left hand so I can't wear it, but I am tempted (again) to have it resized.    Since I'm not going to have another diamond ring, there is a part of me that wants to wear it despite its lack of meaning.
 My 'test recipe' this week is for a fish-jalepeno dish.   I (along with thousands of others) am on a test panel for America's Test Kitchen, and can't share the recipes until and unless they are published in Cook's Illustrated.   It has been fun so far.   I (along with hundreds of others) tested bread recipes for Peter Reinhart's "Artisan Breads Everyday" a couple of years ago, and enjoyed that, too.   It takes me out of my usual cooking safety zone, which is always a good thing.   Fish + jalepeno doesn't rock my fantasy taste buds, but I'm willing to give it a try!

2 comments:

RottenMom said...

Honey, that ring is gorgeous! If you really can't see yourself wearing it, trade that bling in for something you are comfortable wearing! You deserve it! XO

thefarmerfiles said...

You know...I would have the diamond made into a pendant. Morbid...I know...I have thought about what I would do with my bling in the event I should unexpectedly become single. That kinder picture, though? TOO CUTE!