Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day Two, Part Two

The day got warmer and better.   I had lunch with Nancy at Cips, and bolted down my prime rib sandwich without taking a photo.   Again.    Then I drove through Ding Darling, where I saw roseate spoonbills, wood storks, white pelicans, and - finally, after years without - a full-sized alligator!   Not a huge one like in the old days, but certainly five feet or more.



Then, as if that weren't good enough, after appetizers at Doc Ford's (the jerk chicken tostados) and a rummy rum drink (yum), I saw tiny, bumblebee-sized hummingbirds outside, feeding on flowers in the light of my car headlights.    The smallest hummers I have ever seen, and the only ones I've seen after dark.   I tried (and tried) to get a photo, but they were way too fast for my way-too-slow camera!   What a cool thing to see, and a nice way to end the day. 

3 comments:

Don said...

Looks like you are having an awesome time, but hey it's Sanibel. Doc Ford's is without a doubt Debbie and my favorite restaurant, but Cip's is excellent.

Have you read any of RWW's books from which the restaurant is named? If not, I would recommend.

Did you happen to see my photo hanging in the Ding Darling visitors center?

Keep having fun. Wish we were there.

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

LOVE the roseate spoonbills!! White Pelicans are so cool too. We got to see them in Oct as they were in early this year. We did not see an alligator though. Lucky you!! Enjoy your visit!!! Wishing we were there with you. It was only 34 here this morning. I'd rather be on the beach at 34 degrees than here!!

Snowbird said...

Ooo, love your pictures. Wish I had gone through Ding with you.