Sunday, December 4, 2011

Crafting Again!

I have been inspired this year by my artistic bloggy friends to actually do a  little (very little) crafting this year.     One of my muses is Janne at Spindelmaker.   Her work is lovely and way beyond my imagining.   I've been following her blog for well over a year and am constantly amazed at the things she does, and seems to do so easily.     She is providing an advent giveaway this year, and all it takes is a comment to be entered.   Visit her, and tell her that I sent you.   She is a gracious host and will be delighted to meet you.

Another crafty friend, as I've mentioned before, is Emily from The Nest.     You will definitely want to check out her Advent Linky Party for ideas of things that even children (and I) can do to create a little fun for the Holiday.    Although Janne and Emily are different sorts of artists, they both awaken something in me that makes me want to create things, even little things, to put my own mark on the space around me.

In this new burst of craftiness, last night I made my first no-sew fleece blankets.    I might be the only person left in this country who has not already made them, but better late than never.

They really are as simple as everyone says.   Take two same-size pieces of fleece fabric (I used 2 yards of each), one print and one solid, and lay them on top of one another, wrong-sides together.    Trim the salvage all around and square the edges so that you have a roughly even rectangle.    Perfection does not seem to be necessary.    Certainly, mine was not perfect.
 Cut a four-inch square from each corner, and then cut fringe, one inch wide and four inches deep, all around.
 Now all you do it tie a (double) knot in every other fringe set.   Then flip the blanket and tie the remaining fringe into knots.


The wonderful things about fleece is that it does not fray the way most fabrics do, so there is no need for hemming or binding off.    A volunteer made several of these for our hospice residents, so I know from experience that they are warm and cozy and machine washable. 
 Good grief, I am turning into a crafty machine!  My first (3) tries ended up a little wonky -- I am obviously a slow learned, but now even I can see that it would help if my strips were more uniform.   Mine ranged from 4 to about 5 1/2 inches deep, making the finished blanket less square than it should have been.   Live and learn!

4 comments:

spindelmaker said...

Ha, ha, ha... you may be the last one in the States to make a blanket like this, but it´s the first time I see one! It´s a great idea! And warm! I love a warm idea :-D
Thank you so much for your kind compliments, I aim to inspire! :-)

Emily@theNest said...

And likewise, thank you for your kind comments!! Gail, truly, I am getting worried, you will be taking over from me shortly with all this craftiness!! :-) love your fleece fabric btw...

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I had no idea those were so easy to make! I'm going to have to give that a try.

Karen said...

I keep thinking I need to make one of these - or have the littles make one and then promptly forget - again - thanks for the reminder - will have to head off to the fabric store, tonight

Blessings
karen