Monday, May 14, 2012

Riding Shotgun


I went skeet shooting tonight for the first time. My local woman's gun club had a Shotgun 101 night, where we got instruction and a night of shooting with a (beautiful) borrowed .20 gauge for only $6 plus a box of $6 shells.

Although I impressed myself by trying - over and over again!- I didn't quite get the hang of it. Out of 23 clays, I only hit 5. And I was surprised to hit those.

(There are 25 shells in a box but other shooters must have grabbed a couple because I was short!)

What a work out! A shotgun is a lot heavier than my lil ol' pistol, and the effort of holding that barrel up and swinging it over and over -- whew! I didn't realize until I got home how tired my arms were. I will definitely try this again when the gun club has another cheap beginner's night.

The funniest thing of all was that the field in front of us had grazing deer, geese flying overhead, all the wildlife totally indifferent to the many shooters just a hundred yards away. They evidently knew just what bad shots we were!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

sue in mexico mo said...

I admire you for trying new things.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I'm so glad you went. Will you go back? I love skeet shooting! We have a place we go to in KY once in awhile. It has 6 different stations on the circuit and its fun to go.