Sunday, June 3, 2012

Fly Fishing

I spent the weekend at a beginners' fly fishing school run by the Flygirls, a women's fly fishing group affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers.    Things didn't go exactly as planned.  I drove up Friday to Fuller's North Branch Outing Club (a historic lodge where Henry Ford and a bunch of other famous people fished), about 2 and 1/2 hours from home, in pouring rain.
We tied knots all afternoon, laughed and drank wine, and stared out the window at the constant downpour.    The Lodge was one of those homey old places, full of hunting and fishing equipment and memorabilia, and the hostess cooked the kind of filling food that would keep your tummy warm in even the nastiest weather.    She had cute little touches of art everywhere we looked.

 It was still raining when we woke up on Saturday, so that was how we spent the day --- in the rain.   We practiced casting for a couple of hours, and then went to the river to collect bugs for our entomology lesson.   After lunch,  we set out for the river again to try out our new found skills.     It was still raining.  We were mostly pathetic, exhausted when we were through, and soaked to the core.  When we were cold enough, and tired enough, and wet enough, we headed back to the Lodge for wine and a (delicious) hot meal.   I imagine that everyone else thought, as I did, that we should have gone out again to fish in the evening, but every one of us kept our thoughts to ourselves.
 
Sunday morning, the day we were scheduled to leave (of course), was clear and bright and beautiful.   We fished, we convinced ourselves that we showed promise and improvement, I caught a pretty little (very little, 4 or 5 inches) brook trout and scared away many more.    We dragged our aching bodies out of the river just before noon and Judy, our host, made us sandwiches and the trimmings before we hit the road for home.     I'm tired as heck, my back and arm muscles are screaming, and my weekend clothing smells like a wet dog, but I had a great time.   Best of all, I am confident that I can rig my own rod and tie my own flies.    I can't wait to fish again.






2 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I'm so glad you went and had a good time. Good for you!

Mrs A said...

It rained all weekend here too! It rained so hard I thought we would be flooded again! Sounds like you had a great weekend though!