Monday, September 24, 2012

Best Laid Plans

I love the gulf coast, but I grew up by the Great Lakes.    I haven't been to any of them since my children were small, but last week I talked my sister into getting away for a few days and we drove to Lake Michigan on the west side of the state.    As tends to be the case with life, things didn't go the way I had planned.    My vision was that we would have some much-needed time and quiet, without distractions.    The first day there was pretty much as I'd hoped.   We walked on the beach, enjoyed the changing colors, watched the sunset, sat and talked.    


That night, though, we learned that my sister's older son had told his mom's friends that they should join us and, because (in good ways and bad) she has the kind of friends I've never had, they did.    To say I was not thrilled would be an understatement, and it took me a couple of hours to change my attitude.    Her friends arrived and the tone of the weekend certainly changed, with a lot of noise and distraction, but I eventually realized that it was not all bad.    We played a rousing game of Jenga (my sister won), I drank a little (they drank a lot), we shopped a little, ate baked goods and local food and had a lunch at Turkeyville, and the trip that didn't go my way was just fine after all.
We drove home in the rain and when I stopped for groceries, I found a pigeon shopping for birdseed.  Another reminder, perhaps, that the unexpected isn't always something to be feared.

1 comment:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Love the lighthouse picture! Sometimes our paths take unexpected turns, and we have to find the beauty in the moment. That's something I often need work on.