Monday, September 3, 2012

Quilt Dreams

My (only) niece is expecting her first baby in October, and her mom asked a bunch of us to make a quilt block in anticipation of the birth.     I decided to make a little quilted lion, in keeping with the African theme (since my niece and her husband both worked in Tanzania for several years).    I've been wanting to try quilting, and this seemed like a good time to give it a go.   I traced my idea onto freezer paper and cut out the pieces, and then appliqued my lion to the quilt block that had been provided.
I was really happy with the result.   I added embroidery and a little "puff" to the lion's face.  As instructed, I signed my block and sent it to the west coast.   I got a photo today of the finished quilt, and my little lion looks pretty good!      
Now I'm eager to try something else, probably something just as primitive.    I saw a quilt on Retired in Alaska, one of the many blogs I follow, and I'm itching to duplicate it, with my own twists, of course.    The sketch is ready, now I just need to get some fabric and . . . oh yes, actually make the quilt.    Of course, I have so many 'do's' on my to-do list, we'll see if it ever gets started!

1 comment:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

That is SO cute! You did good.