Friday, September 14, 2012

Red Handed

Today I caught a Tomato Thief red-handed .  . .  or red jawed, at least.   There was a squirrel, sitting as boldly as brass, in the middle of my back yard, holding in his mouth a tomato as big as his head.   When I opened the door to take his picture, he high-tailed it up the fence and into the neighbor's tree.   It's a little hard to begrudge him - I've had a bunch of tomatoes this summer -- in fact, I had them again for dinner --  and he sure looked like he was enjoying his!

I have started my applique quilt (a little quilt -- should I call it a quilt-let?) for my brother.   I saw a beautiful rendition in a photo on a non-quilting website, just sitting on a lap, and loved it.   If I weren't so cheap I would have bought the same colors as the original, but of course I decided to use what I  had on hand and (other than novelty and baby prints) I don't have much.    I'm going to go ahead, though, and see how it works out.   One of the things I've learned from watching quilting blogs is that things that look so-so at the start are often fabulous by the end.   Fingers crossed!
 


2 comments:

Janet Bocciardi said...

I like the colors you've got out a lot. It looks happy and full of life!

Wonder if that squirrel would've like some mozzarella on his tomato...

StitchinByTheLake said...

I always call thos mini quilts - but I love your term, quiltlet! And working from your "stash" is a great way to keep from getting in over your head in fabric. I, on the other hand, have absolutely no will power and could seriously quilt for the next 20 years without buying another piece. If we have an economic meltdown in this country I'll be able to stitch when others can't - that's why in this case hoarding is perfectly reasonable. :) blessings, marlene