Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sweet



What a pretty day.   I left the house at 6 AM, and the winter stars were bright in the sky.    Orion, my favorite, was high in the sky, almost over head.    I both love and hate seeing it there, because it is a sure sign of winter.    But when the sun came up, the colors were, again, stunningly beautiful, even at the local market and in the unkempt corners of my back yard.

And I saw the sweetest, most poignant thing at work.    I was visiting a senior residence (a genuine Old Folks' Home), and they had a 'Wish Tree' in the lobby.    The receptionist told me that it was put up as a project by a local student, who helped the residents of all abilities make a tag with their dearest wish.    I stood for several minutes, reading tags.    Some of them made me laugh -- one person wrote "I wish I had an elephant,"  and several wrote "FOOD!" People wanted world peace and "more money."   Some brought tears to my eyes.   "I wish that my cat would never die."   "I wish I had a boyfriend."    More than one wished to have their husband or wife back, or wished they could see their mom again.    I was touched by how similar we all are and bet that we could put that same tree in preschools and colleges and businesses all over the world, and the same sweet assortment of wishes would flutter on the branches.    It was a good reminder on this day of a presidential debate, that we are so very much alike, despite how different we sometimes are.

5 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

This post blew me away and gave me goosebumps. Thank you for sharing this.

Janet Bocciardi said...

Amen!

What a neat project and a way to let folks have a voice who may not always speak up.

sue in mexico mo said...

That is a great idea! I am going to suggest it at the assisted living facility where my father lives.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Love that you shared this with us. I never have seen one of these and I think its a wonderful idea.
Love
Maggie

Carrie P. said...

the wish tree is a very interesting concept. some were sad, for sure.