Thursday, February 28, 2013

All About ME, ME, ME!!!

 Today is MY day to show my All About Me project.    Thank goodness for Madame Samm and Marlene, because I never would have tried this sort of thing without them.    They have helped me stretch my mind in so many crafty ways, and I am grateful.    I have a friend who tells me I am "such a cheerleader," but these ladies make me look like a Debbie Downer.
I have never before made anything like this fun pattern by Amy Bradley, and I'm so glad I tried it. I got to use fusible interfacing for the first time, and (a version of) machine applique, and lots of other techniques I'd never tried before.  I got to discover the limits of my old sewing machine.    And (blush), most fun of all, I got to think about ME and what would best represent me to all of y'all.    I decided to use only what I had in my stash because, even though I am very new at this, I have a stash that is taking over my craft/guest room.    Sigh.
 
Now I dare say I have as many life-biases as anyone, but I am not an accomplished seamstress, so the play on the word “bias” didn't really describe me. I wanted to find something I could claim as my own, something I could hang on my wall that will make me smile.
My resolutions for 2013 were to make it the Best Year Ever, and have a Ridiculous Amount of Fun. I have been trying to look at every experience and decision through that 'lens,' and to learn and experience things that I'd never considered before.   So far the year is going well.     I wanted my “Me” to reflect those choices.
You'll notice that my “Me” is toting a pistol.   I am enjoying a lot of target shooting lately and, although I have always enjoyed shooting by myself, these days I also shoot with a couple of friends and that has turned out to be more fun than I could have imagined.   They are getting better and better, and I struggle to keep up.    As one of them reminds me, it's not about losing, it's about trying harder.   Whenever we shoot, we end our range time with an informal competition and it is my goal to beat them as often as I can.  

The heart is a reminder of all the love in my life: my family, my adorable Grands, the patients and families I work with, and my friends.   I want to remember to keep my heart right out there on top, because I want people to be able to find it, no matter how vulnerable that makes me.
I also added a fly fishing rod because I am hoping to improve my fly fishing skills again this year.   I am better at tying flies than catching fish, so I embellished my “Me” with one of the flies I tied this winter.
The embroidery that forms the “scales” of the fish says FUN in Morse Code, that elusive language that I decided to learn as a joke and that has become a huge personal challenge for me.   I am getting better and better at “talking,” but I still have a lot of work to learn to “listen,” which has made me consider whether that might be true in Real Life, too.

Finally, instead of using hanging rings or hardware to hang my Me, I decided to practice my fishing knots and made a couple of small perfection loops to use for hanging it on the wall.   I stitched the finished loops on the back and up I went!
I wanted to add a million other things, like Family and Travel and Learning and Crafts and Food, but decided it could all be summed up in the caption Best Year Ever and the badge that says Life Is Good.   For so many reasons, it truly is.
Thanks for stopping by!    I hope you'll check out the other amazing Me's that are on display today!   (My earlier post lists ALL of the Hops, and it's really worth it to go back and check them ALL out!)

Shedding the Wolf  (That's me!)



67 comments:

Thearica Burroughs said...

Your YOU is over the top! Kudos to you for embracing life and going after it!

JoyceLM said...

Thanks for sharing your personal story mini-quilt.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very interesting!!!! I like all the hobbies you have too...sounds like you have a lot in store for yourself...enjoy!!

beaquilter said...

haha on the gun part thats a first to see a quilter who shoots or maybe theyre all hiding it

Sharon said...

Wow you have done a wonderful job depicting what you are all about and want to accomplish and that is wonderful...I love all the embellishing you did in the box and out....I hope your year continues to be awesome...

Patty D from NC said...

good words to live by! thanks for sharing.

Jeanie said...

Great lady showing your hobbies and goals! Thanks for sharing!

Agnes B. Bullock said...

BRAVO! This is simply a work of art! Love the pistol , love all of it!

Carrie P. said...

what fun! you did a great job. I knew you like to target practice but didn't know about the fishing. I would like to learn how to fly fish one day.

Debbie said...

Standing ovation!!!! Do you know how big I am grinning at your "you"! This is so good and is absolutely a wonderful version of who you are and are becoming. Great details. I am so glad you ventured forth on this.

Michele said...

OMG I just love "you". Nicely done.

PatSloan said...

you put a lot of thought into your piece! This is such a fun hop, my day is here http://blog.patsloan.com/2013/02/its-all-about-mmm-me-you-who.html

Linda J said...

What a great attitude you have and your piece reflects that! Nothing wrong with being a cheerleader either since we all can use the encouragement about SOMETHING in our lives. I love how your project reflects your interests outside of sewing, making it a perfect version of YOU!

MooseStash Quilting said...

What an inspirational piece. I am wishing you all the best in reaching your goals for the year. We should all take a page from your book!

Vickie said...

There's probably alot of us quilters that could put a fishing rod and gun in our hands !
Great job !

Tammy said...

Great job on your project. Love the pistol.

Dee said...

I am so happy that this has been the best year ever! Awesome job! love the fishing.

Nellie Duclos said...

Wow! Love your additions to the AB pattern. The gun is halarious and your fishing rod/flies are not something one would expect on a quilt, but "what the hey." Life sometimes throws us curved balls and you've caught yours admirably and threw them right back! Best wishes for your new life, sounds a lot more fun than before even though I'm sure the transition was not easy. From California, thanks for sharing.

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Great job...might want to turn off your word verification, so you will get more comments. : )

Cher said...


hey, you have one of my favorites of the day...great job of reflecting the real you ...and what a wonderful goal for your year!

Lou said...

Absolutely Love it!!!
I finally shot a gun at the end of last year. rally enjoyed it and will go back after it warms up again:)

Linda said...

What a great way to keep focused on your goal this year! You did a wonderful job on your little "me"!

Carol Swift said...

So many things about YOU on your project...love it!

Jean Burke said...

This is just terrific - thanks for sharing different aspects of your life. What a good resolution to have! Good luck.....

Vicki H said...

What a great story of your 'you' Thanks for sharing.

Gwen said...

You certainly lead an interesting life with your gun-totin, fly-fishin' self! And I love how you placed and described your heart! Very well done!

patchouli moon studio said...

Nicely done YOU. Cute touches that you added.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

You did an excellent job and the fishing stuff and gun were perfect!

krislovesfabric said...

Looks like you are well on your way to making your goals! Great Me!

Judy B said...

Love you pistol packing mama! Thank you for sharing.

Pierro said...

Rosemary B here:
This is very cool. I love target shooting as well.... and I am very good lol. YOu can display this proudly! Love the fabric and all of the details and you look marvelous!

The Slow Quilter said...

Great story of your best year ever.

Needled Mom said...

Way to go and I hope it is the best year ever!!!

Caroline said...

WOW!!! Each of those details are amazing. And what a great reminder of your resolutions. You will certainly have the best year EVAH, for sure! And good luck with the morse code. Try as I might I was never able to master it beyond SOS! lol!

Susie Q said...

Hi, I love your "me" and think she turned out great. I hope you year is really fun. Thanks for sharing. Susie x

Patty said...

I got so busy reading your blog I almost forgot to tell you I REALLY like you gal.Good luck on the dits and dots of the Morris Code(You WILL get it) and getting better on the target range.

Suze said...

What a great idea - to make this the best year ever. Thank you very much for taking time to participate; make an adorable quilt; tell vulnerably about yourself; inspire others; and entertain us.

Kathy H said...

What a wonderful you, in fabric and real life. I think your resolution is the best ever. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Sowing Stitches said...

Pistol Packing Mama and quilting...great combination!!!
Enjoy all life has to offer. :)

Quiltsmiles said...

You Mini Me for 2013 is terrific! Your creativity, and process of keeping your heart open speaks volumes, WTG! Nicely done. JAne

Gayle said...

Awesome work! Some day I'd like to try creating something like this. Maybe if my craft room every gets built....

Lovin' your best year ever!

Gill said...

Fabulous! I love all the extras you added.
Thank you for sharing!

karen flick said...

FUN FUN!! This hop is just FUN! and you did an awesome job! Thank you!

Farm Quilter said...

Love your positive self-portrait!!! This will be the best year ever :) You fly is lovely and I love all your personal embellishments!! I'd love to go target shooting with you!!

Just Quilt It said...

I hope it IS the best year ever. Great job!

OhioLori said...

What a wondeful & inspiring lady u made (& YOU are!!)....loooove your "Me"!!! Awesome job! :)

Di said...

I'm so glad your life is going well. You really are multi-talented, and I love your attitude - reflected in your "me"!

Sheila said...

Sounds like you have a full life , your lady is charming :-)

Judy Cooper Textile Images said...

I thought I had written a comment early this morning! Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

MoeWest said...

I love your resolution to make 2013 the best year ever. You did a great job making this mini quilt all about you.

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Absolutely wonderful! Thanks for the story and for sharing your 'ME'

sue in mexico mo said...

Wow! That is great!! You are very talented and creative.

Pen Pen said...

guns, fishing poles...you are FUN! Love the morse code fun on the fish. Good job!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my mother would have loved this - she loved fishing with a passion. :) What a wonderful tale you wove of the loves of your life. I'm so glad you included that! blessings, marlene

Createology said...

This is sew fun how you have personalized Ms. Biased to suit your joy in life. Thank you for participating in this wonderful hop. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Cindy said...

Awesome mini quilt, love how you adapted it to fit you! Thank you for sharing!

LJ said...

Wow, I'm so glad to meet you. Your "ME" speaks so well of who you are or hope to become. I love all the special embellishments that make the project all about you - esp. the fishing fly. Good luck with your target shooting and fishing in 2013.

Emily C said...

Love your 'You'. great celebration piece.

carla said...

Hi!!! Yaa!!! Love your lady!!! I love the best year ever!!! You gave all of us a fun day!!! Thank You

Elizabeth said...

What an amazing mini-ME! She's so accomplished at so many things. What incredible fun! Thanks for sharing!

thepiececorps said...

Such a busy "me"! B-)

Brenda said...

I really enjoyed reading your post and loved your ME project! Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

Jodi - usairdoll said...

What a great mini! I love all your little extras! Your post was such a great read! I think it's wonderful that you learned morse code and how to tie flies. How neat that you challenge yourself to do and learn different things. I think I'd like to learn morse code as well, hehe, thanks for inspiring me! You did a super job! Thanks for sharing.

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

becky said...

I love the "story" and your personal touches job well done Thanks Becky

Frances said...

Lovely stories you tell. I like how each detail on your ME is so symbolic. Sew cute.

BizyStitches said...

love your out look on life. I like to shoot too. Fun to see your project. thanks for sharing.

spindelmaker said...

Wow, Gail! You rock! Totally! I love how you´ve presented yourself. You crafty-chc, you! ;-) And like, WOW, how many comments you´ve gotten! Blog-hops are fun, anren´t they. But seriously, I want to congratulate you on just jumping in, learning new stuff, taking chances and achieving goals. I so admire that in you! :-)