Sunday, February 10, 2013

When You Throw a Request to the Universe, You Never Know What You're Gonna Get

So.   I wanted a new hobby that I wouldn't have chosen myself. And I wanted more opportunities to shoot.    New friends have provided versions of both.    I easily learned the Morse Code written symbols as a joke, and didn't expect it to have any application other than a laugh, but have now been told in no uncertain terms that it is NOT the Morse Code if it's done on paper, it has to involve the audio signal.    Fair enough, I responded (with my big mouth), so I'll learn that too.    Friend lent me a keyer and sent me a bunch of study files, with instructions to (1) listen, (2) say each letter out loud and (3) write each letter down.    He challenged me to have it under control in two weeks.     After a day of study I am ready to SCREAM!    This is super hard, my head is about ready to explode from all the 'dits' and 'dahs' I've stuffed inside.    I am told that it will become second nature, but I suspect that's only if it doesn't cause a stroke first.    This is definitely not the hobby I would have picked for myself, but I'm going to give it a good faith effort, if only for the sincerity of the teacher.

And my shooting, which I do enjoy, is only getting worse, despite a lot of practice.   Thank goodness my shooting companion also shot badly this weekend.    Loser buys dinner and I haven't had to buy yet.    But the guy who didn't make it for this week's shoot is consistently scoring a lot higher than I did, and I only beat my very competent companion (in a two out of three contest) by one lucky point, so I'm pretty sure my days as a freeloader are numbered.
And this is how I filled my weekend, this and playing with the Grands.    I didn't do a lick of work, and I don't seem to have missed it a bit.

5 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I give you credit for trying the Morse code thing. Personally I can't hear the difference between the dots and dashes. I would end up taking the gun and shooting the keying machine. LOL!

spindelmaker said...

How cool that youre learning morse! You´re such a cool lady! And congratulations on all you winnings! You are both cool AND lucky! :-)

Janet Bocciardi said...

A most unusual hobby I'd say! Just think you'll be able to have secret conversations with others who know how to dot and dash. How will you find each other? Just under your breath say hi in morse code and see if they light up? : )

If shooting is like golf, I always do better after not having done it in awhile. Sort of a beginner's luck all over again. Good luck - free dinner is always welcome!

AntKaybe said...

You are amazing! If the grid ever goes down you already have your niche carved out ;D

Tink *~*~* said...

I remember target shooting with my dad when we were young. Miss those days! As for Morse code, I think you should amuse yourself by calling it doo-dahs instead of dit-dahs ;)

*~*~*