Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Radio Waves

It struck a chord with me when my Friend expressed surprised, maybe even concern, that I wasn't “excited” at having passed the Tech radio exam. He explained that he knows many people who have tried several times and failed. While my response, after passing it with just a week's worth of study, was disappointment that I hadn't passed the next level, which I hadn't studied for. And my continued refusal to actually learn anything about how to use the skill, because I feel like I'm not “ready” for that.

It made me remember when I graduated from law school, and I kept it a secret until I had passed the bar exam, because I was so sure that I would fail. Even then, I rarely admitted to being a lawyer, to such an extent that my (then) little boy once earnestly explained to me that it wasn't anything to be ashamed of.

I am pretty good at dealing with failure and loss. In fact, now that my daily work involves hospice and grief, you could say I've made a career of it.

But success seems to be a hard pill for me to swallow.

2 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Failure is nothing to be ashamed of - it means you TRIED, which is sometimes more important. I read once that Thomas Edison made thousands of attempts before he got his light bulb to work. Where would we be if he gave up after one failure?

It's better to try and fail than to never try at all. And once you succeed, there's nothing wrong with sharing your success.

Piper Christian Vierik said...

I have been following your journeys for some time now and not felt the urge to leave a comment until now. I haven't kept up on your postings of recent but happened upon this one. Am I reading this right, are you now a licensed amateur radio operator? If so, welcome to the family! I've been licensed since approximately 2002. There really isn't anything to using your new skill. I may be able to run a severe weather net from the National Weather Service office in White Lake, but I have NO idea how to program my radio. I just turn it on and talk. You don't have to know it all to use your license. Join a local club, if you haven't already, they can help you out with the things you don't know or want to learn more about. I apologize if the things I'm telling you are things you already know, I haven't gone back in your postings (or forward) to see if these are things you already know, I was just so excited to see a new member that I jumped at my chance to say hello and welcome. There aren't enough ladies in this hobby.
73 de (which means "a friendly word between operators" and "from"),
W6ZZU :)