Thursday, March 7, 2013

Shedding the Wolf

A few people have written to ask me why I call my Blog "Shedding the Wolf."    It's like this:   when my grandson was just a little guy in 2008, I was madly in love with him (still am) and went through the same  combination of bliss and responsibility that affects lots of new Grandparents.   And not only Grandparents -- I think it's a side effect of being in love.    I suddenly wanted to be a better Me, and I wanted to be ready to be fully here for him.    

Somewhere along the way, I remembered the old fairy stories from my childhood, before they had been sanitized for the kids of this generation.    In the "Little Red Riding Hood" of my childhood,  Grandma was eaten by the Wolf before Red arrived at her house, and he played the part of Grandma in an effort to eat Red, too.  When the Huntsman (Our Hero) came in response to Red's screams, he killed the Wolf, slit open his belly, and pulled Grandma out so that she and Red could be reunited.     

I started to wonder how much Wolfishness had taken over MY self, and wanted to be sure that there was a genuine Grandma on hand to love my little grands.    I started to think even more than before of things I needed to 'shed' that were like the wolf skin in the story, things like selfishness, and unkindness, and small-mindedness, and other fairy-tale wolf-ish behaviors.   To whatever extent possible, I want to be more like the Huntsman than like the Wolf, destroying those hurtful characteristics in an effort to truly be the Grandma.

So that's how the name came about, and that might be why my Blog is often more a personal journal than anything else.    I know it's a little corny, but for me it's the point of being alive.     I craft, I shoot, I sew, I fish, I play, but my main goal, always, is to try to work at being a better me.   

And that's what I love about your comments, as they point out flaws in my thinking, or let me know when I'm on -- or off -- track.    Because THIS Grandma can use all the help she can get!  :)

5 comments:

Niky Sayers said...

wow love this post!

sue in mexico mo said...

:)

Createology said...

How wonderful this post is that you have shared. We all should aspire to be better beings. Thank you for sharing your story. Blessings...

Barbara said...

Thanks for that. I've wondered myself.

Carrie P. said...

I don't think this is corny at all. We all need to look at ourselves sometimes and we can all improve in some ways. Being the best Grandma you can be is very good in my book.