Sunday, July 21, 2013

Extra! Extra!

It's funny how sometimes life can take us where we didn't know there was a way to go.  And for me this journey into amateur radio and Morse code began with a joking comment about qualities that the Perfect Woman would possess.     I didn't know this 5 months ago, but it turns out that there are three levels (or "classes") of amateur radio operators.   The entry level class is called "Technician," the next level up is called "General," and the final upgrade is to "Extra."    I took and passed my Tech and General exams in March, and the other day,  I  took and passed the Extra exam.   Whoo hoo!    

So now I am copying Morse Code at somewhere around 7 1/2 words a minute, which is not amazing, but it is amazing to me.    And I hold the highest possible license grade for the hobby.   Soon I'll get a new, hopefully even cooler, call sign.    This foray into the Unknown, and beating my brain into conquering study areas that were totally foreign to me, took less than five months.     

And alas, I am apparently still not the Perfect Woman.    Maybe there are other qualifications out there that I can add to my resume for Perfection, though, so keep those ideas coming.     For now I'll just keep practicing that code.   And enjoying the summer.    Because, even if it doesn't feel like it right now, I know that I am capable of things I never dreamed of, and anything can happen.

6 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Congrats on such excellent progress. You're light years ahead of the majority of us, who would have no idea how to do any of that. Nice work!

Barbara said...

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment. I tend to think "perfection" is highly overrated. My preference is to shoot for "good enough".

spindelmaker said...

I was about to say that I wish I´m as wise as you are when I get older, and then I remembered that you´re not that much older than me and that life is here and now for al of us independent of our age... I think you´re pretty darn close to perfection in your seizing life with both hands!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Congratulations! My sister has taken and passed the first level and is preparing for the second. :) blessings, marlene

sue in mexico mo said...

:)

Piper Christian said...

Congratulations on passing the Extra exam - you're making me feel lazy because all I have is Tech and no motivation to go beyond it, even though they dropped the CW requirement for the other classes...