Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday

What a day!    I wanted to be on time for the 1:00 pm Forgotten Eagles rally today.  The Forgotten Eagles have a special mission of working toward having all MIAs and POWs brought home and returned to their families.   A shocking number of service men and women have never been accounted for, and their families are still waiting for answers.    I had never been to the little town where they were having the rally, and I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there, so maybe I was driving a little faster than I should have.

According to the police office, I was driving more than a little too fast.
But he was very (very) nice, and let me off with a pat on the hand and a warning.   Thank goodness.   I promised to drive under the speed limit the rest of the way there, and I did, and I still arrived in plenty of time.  Lesson learned.    I hope.

I followed my Google map and found a cute little park.   There was a stage set up and signs saying "Event Today," so I was sure I was in the right place.  Kids were painting the street, and there was a really cool fairy sculpture that changed color when you looked at it through lenses that were stationed around it.    I relaxed and talked with some of the other people there.  

Suddenly I noticed that it was 1:00 pm and the Forgotten Eagles, a veterans' motorcycle group, had not yet arrived.   And the piper, who should have been playing by now, was nowhere to be seen.   I finally found a local, and learned that I was at the wrong park.    Rats, I hate that feeling!

I tore around the corner and easily found the right park by the 50 or 60 cycles parked nearby, jumped out of my car and ran to the memorial area just as the bagpipes started to play.
There were speakers, and many reminders of the sacrifice that our service men and women continue to make to ensure our freedom.    One disabled vet was having trouble holding up his arm in a salute, and another moved in to physically support it on his own shoulder during the color guard.  The piper played Amazing Grace.    Such a tender moment, it brought tears to my eyes.    It was a day filled with reminders that I had a whole lot to be grateful for on this beautiful day. 

4 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I didn't know those rallies were still held - I'm so glad! blessings, marlene

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Wow - blow me away with that last photo! Now THAT is what our country should be about and sadly, it no longer is.

KaHolly said...

Wow!! I've been to a few events such as that and they are certainly humbling experiences.

Carrie P. said...

I have been catching up with what you have been up to this summer. Looks like a good one for you. Getting to spend time with family, eating great veggies and trying out new things. Now for fall. Enjoy it.