Sunday, August 18, 2013

Training

 I began training this week with our local Search and Rescue group.   I learned how to use a compass for the first time in my life -- I never knew they did anything but point north! -  to determine bearings on a map,  to follow those bearings when instructed to do so by radio, and to find my way back to a point if I get lost.    I've seen some of the charts of the 'homework' the group did with the compass readings and I am hoping I was able to hold my own with the more experienced members -- I guess I'll find out on Tuesday at our next meeting but there's no question I have a lot to learn no matter how well or badly I did.   I haven't been trained in search technique yet but I worked as net control at the home base when very routine, small scale searches were done at the county fair to locate a missing grandma, a child, and another missing older woman.   I've signed up for two weekend training sessions over the next two months where I will learn about search planning and practice.   Tomorrow I refresh my CPR/AED training and I will get more first aid training in the next couple of months. This group is called out by county sheriffs' departments every couple of months to do a search and they have seen some rough duty, so the training is something I will take very seriously.      It's super exciting for me to be learning new skills, some of them skills I never even knew existed!, and a little humbling to think I will be part of a team that will be called out to help save someone's life.
Today has been quiet and boring by comparison!   But I enjoyed eating a handful of baby carrots fresh out of the garden when I went out to fill the bird feeders.      It's been a beautiful and productive week in my little corner of the world!

5 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I am so impressed by you - what an awesome experience and totally cool and worthwhile thing to do.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Like Kim I too am so impressed by you but I always am when I read about what your doing.
I know I am repeating myself when I say how amazing you are to do what you do.
I caught up with you while I was lucky enough to be here. I wish we lived closer so we could fish together.
Hope you are having a wonderful week
Love
Maggie
PS
I have a guest speaker this week. When are you going to volunteer for my Blogazine

KaHolly said...

Good for you!! That's quite an accomplishment. It's no small thing!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Hi-ya. I just read your comment over on Maggie's blog, and figured I'd stop by to say howdy. (We YLs have to stick together!)

It's nice to meet another ham in the blogosphere. (AF4FO here.) I'm not nearly as active as I used to be. I was GA SM for almost a decade, and by the time I decided not to run for another term, my hubby and I were both pretty burned out. But we're slowly starting to dip our toes back in again.

Very cool on doing the search and rescue stuff. Hats off to ya!

Count me in as your newest groupie.

Piper Christian said...

Look at you getting out and using your newfound skills! Net control?! Way to go!! Net control is a super important part of any rescue operation, as I'm sure you're now aware. I'm so glad to hear that you're using your skills and developing new ones, we need more hams (especially ladies) who do the things you're doing! Keep up the good work!!!