Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Preaching Again

I visited today with a woman whose husband will not live many more hours.   She told me that two months ago he was well, appeared to be healthy, and was just going about his usual business.  Two months.    Obviously I see this stuff in hospice pretty often but I must not believe it because it feels like a new priority-spotlight-crisis every time.   

So now I am running around again like Paul Revere (or chicken little?), raising the alarm.     And trust me, I'm preaching the same line to other people and to myself.     But I've got to say it to you, too. 

No kidding, no matter how much you love what you are doing, find some time for the people you love and those you would like to.   Find somebody to snuggle up.    Because no matter how much you love your job or your hobbies, I don't think those are the things you will cherish if time suddenly runs out.    Do and say whatever you would wish you had done or said if it turned out that you are under a two month limited time offer.   Because even if it isn't two months, it IS a limited time offer.

You may now return to your regularly programmed life.

8 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Good advice. xo

Mrs A said...

thanks Gail, we live thinking that all the good things will last forever, and forget to make the important things come first.

Barbara said...

Very good advice...and accidents happen too. Sometimes we don't see it coming at all.

Emily said...

Can never be said too often! xx

sue in mexico mo said...

Thanks for reminding us. Life is so fragile. . .

StitchinByTheLake said...

Great advice! blessings, marlene

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

It certainly is a limited time offer so I am sending you a great big hug today from a Texas gal who loves you.
Maggie

Carrie P. said...

Amen!