Friday, November 29, 2013

Grateful

I am so lucky in so many ways.     I have a sad enough past to be truly blessed to have moved beyond it.   I live alone and am not crazy about that, but I know enough to know that living with someone can be even worse.    I have a good education, a lovely family, a job, and pretty good health.   I have enough money to get what I need, but not so much to take away my pleasure at little things.    I have long lists of things to do that keep me busy, including my fly tying and my first ever rag quilt-in-progress.
I had a non-traditional Thanksgiving, shooting with a friend, playing a dice game with him and his son, eating the worst thrown-together meal ever.   
Imagine cream of mushroom soup accidentally cooked with french vanilla creamer and mixed with hamburger.    Oh gag.    
I begged him to let me cook from now one.    My pecan pie only added to the too-sweet experience, but we laughed about it all.   My son's family will come on Sunday and we will have the usual turkey and dressing and all.   Hopefully that will banish the remembered taste of french vanilla beef.

Today is my house cleaning day and I have, not to my surprise, done everything I can think of but clean.    I have a dozen half done projects spread throughout the house, and a bunch of cooking-adventures-in-process on the kitchen stove and counters.    It is the last day in my life to be 63, and I am not a happy camper, so not inclined to be too tough on myself today.    This is a good day to start a gratitude jar.  Life is good, and worrying about it being too short does nothing to make it better.

7 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Happy birthday!

I had to laugh at your dinner mishap. Any Thanksgiving involving guns has to be awesome!!

Kate said...

Definitely sounds like a unique Thanksgiving. Enjoy your "convention" dinner with your son's family.

Barbara said...

Well your quilt is going to be lovely. French vanilla beef...now you can always say, "i've had worse."

Elizabeth said...

Oh the joys of those larger numbers as we continue to age. I'm not far behind you, but am making the best of it. Hope you have a great day and that your gratitude jar is filled to overflowing with little notes when you need a pick-me-up! Your rag quilt will be lovely and warm. I'm stopping in through the NewFO linky party.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

I used to think vanilla can make anything taste better, but I changed my mind after reading about your dinner. lol Love the fabrics for your rag quilt. They are always so cozy! And by the way - Happy Birthday!

Junebug613 said...

Sorry to hear about your icky dinner! Blech! Your quilt is going to be fantastic!