Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Finished and Unfinished

I dreaded my birthday, but it ended up being just fine, as always.    First of all, I found 700 rounds of ammunition after months of not finding any at all -- this was a wonderful birthday gift, and will make it possible for me to target shoot a couple of times this month!    And then my kids took me out to dinner!    They gave me the cutest ever birthday gifts --  a stuffed wolf who eats the grandma (who can then be rescued by 'cutting' open the wolf's belly.   Since my blog is called Shedding the Wolf, and since I am a Grandma, it was the perfect present.  :)    [You can read about the idea behind my blog's name here.]  

They also gave me some beautiful paintings by a couple of up and coming local artists who I have admired for some time -- in other words, my grandchildren.   I love them!
My birthday has always been the symbolic beginning of the Christmas season for me, and most years I have had most of my gifts well in hand by now.   Not this year.   Maybe I've been too busy having fun!   I had planned all year to sew a bunch of stuff for Christmas but I only started last week.  Where has the time gone?!   I don't even have all the materials on hand yet, so I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope that my original plans will come to fruition.     So my list of UFOs I intend to finish this month is a little limited by lack of time and poor planning.     I definitely want to finish my rag quilt, whether it turns out well enough to be a gift or not.   I am using Boundary Waters flannel by Moda, which I absolutely love.    I arranged the squares and sewed the strips together but ran out of thread, so I need to get shopping before I can go any further.    I have another quilt top I had also hoped to finish, but there's no way I can get it done be Christmas because I have to work and will be out of town for a week, too.

I also need to finish a few zipper pouches for my daughters and a friend.   Like these, but with fabrics chosen for them, fabrics I haven't purchased yet.    I need to get to JoAnn's soon!     
Finally, I am hoping to make a couple of sleeping bags for the Grands' stuffed animals.    I think they would make a fun addition to sleepovers!  Well that settles it -- no more time to blog.   I need to get to work!

7 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I'm so happy you had such a nice day for your birthday!!

That quilt is going to be really nice. I'm sitting all snuggled up in my tee shirt quilt and I love it.

You better get busy girl - you sure have a lot to accomplish by Christmas.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Gail - not that you need another project, but I saw this and I bet your grandkids would love these:

http://www.trusper.com/tips/Diy-No-See-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-And-Blanket/2893317

Barbara said...

Happy birthday! Love the grandma/wolf combo. Cute idea.

Carrie P. said...

Happy Birthday! that wolf and grandma doll are so cute.

Carrie P. said...

great to have you on board for the UFO challenge too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

This time of year we are all busy sewing...and loving every minute of it! Happy birthday! blessings, marlene

spindelmaker said...

A late happy-birthday-wish from across the sea! Your new wolf is really funny! :-D