Thursday, December 26, 2013

Thinking Ahead

I was so disappointed in how little I accomplished with making gifts for Christmas in 2013 that I decided to get a  head start on 2014.    I started with fleece tubes, sometimes called Cowls or Buffs.   I wear these when I go out treking, or in search and rescue, and they can be pulled up like a hat or used like a scarf to keep the neck warm.   I bought the ones I use now and paid over $20 each.   I love them -- they are warm, the stop the wind, they wash easily and dry quickly.    When I was (supposed to be) cleaning my craft room the day before Christmas, I was gathering up fleece remnants when it hit me -- there is no earthly reason why I can't make them instead, for pocket change instead of dollars.   Using the scraps I had on hand, I made the first couple that same day, instead of cleaning the room.    I will do almost anything to avoid actually working.     The first one I made took me about 15 minutes, and that included changing the thread in the sewing machine.
I'm pretty excited and only wish I'd thought of this sooner (which might have happened if I had considered cleaning the craft room sooner!)    I think this will be a good gift next Christmas, assuming I can hang onto them that long, because there is still a lot of cold weather ahead!   I will be raiding the remnant bins at JoAnn's this week, while they are still filled with the scraps from all the fleece blankets that the more ambitious people around me made as gifts.     The concept still needs a little tweaking -- They don't fit quite as perfectly yet as the $20 variety, but I have a whole year to get it right!  :)
I also decided to get to work on pot holders.   I said LAST year that I was going to make pot holders as gifts, and I did make a few, but only a few, and there weren't any left to use as Christmas gifts.   So this year I am getting started with some Christmas-y ones, making it more likely that I will wait until later in the season to give them away.  Clever, right?    I have three of them cut and sandwiched, ready to stitch, and it's only the day after Christmas.   I am already way ahead of last year!

[Edit:  These are things I started and finished in December, as are the few projects I blogged about as December Craft Finishes, so I am linking them all to Cat Patches and her December NewFO and Linky Party!  :)  

9 comments:

NuminosityBeads said...

We call them neck gaiters in Alaska and I can't live without them. Safer than scarves too as far as not getting caught in things. ( I was a heavy equipment operator)
Hope you had a happy holiday!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

So nice to see a picture of you and you look cute with your buff!

The pot holders are adorable. I want to go raid the thrift shops now for Christmas placemats so I can make more pot holders out of those.

You are way ahead of the game for next year. Go buy a large plastic tote to start storing things in. They will be on sale now.

Barbara said...

What a great idea with the cowls. I did no Christmas sewing this year...only baking.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love this idea! I just bought a new winter scarf yesterday and the cost...horrible! blessings, marlene

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

What a great idea, I'm always having trouble keeping my scarf closed! Please post a tutorial on the home made cowls when you are done.

Denise :) said...

I am intrigued by these tube scarves! How are they constructed?? I love fleece scarves, but hate always having to keep them closed! Yours looks very luxurious!! Happy New Year!! :)

Ray and Jeanne said...

What a great idea - to begin gifts for next year NOW! Love your cowl! ~Jeanne

Kate said...

Sounds like you've got a good head start on next year.

Sandy said...

Good idea getting started now! And, you are right, the Christmas fabrics should keep you from giving them away early. Good luck!