Friday, February 21, 2014

Windy and Rainy

February is nearing an end, and it's been a busy month with lots of emotions.    The 'issues' with the Chairman on my subcommittee continued all week.   The good news, from my perspective, is that I've gone from hurt, to mad, to just feeling sorry for him.   He has been raving for the past several days, losing respect among his colleagues, making little sense, just a pathetic spectacle.    I don't think he'll be trusted with any positions of authority again any time soon and if he hasn't figured out yet that he isn't getting any support, he will soon, and I feel kind of bad for him.

It has finally stopped snowing, at least for the moment.  We're getting rain now, which is washing away the foot or so of snow on the ground.   Now it's just a matter of time before the flooding begins, and my basement will likely get wet because there was SO much snow this year.   And in between the raining and the icing, the weather guys say that we'll get hit by snow again before the month is over.  The seasons come, the seasons go.   That's why it's so important, in weather and in life, to grab onto the good days with both hands.

Speaking of good times, right before our first rain day, the grands and I had a snowball fight, the two of them against me.   I laughed and laughed, and ended up with snow all the way down to my underwear.   I was wearing jeans while they were wearing snow pants; I didn't have a chance of staying dry.   We had hot chocolate afterward, which sounds like such a small thing but was a childhood fantasy of mine that never came true.   I didn't grow up with a hot-chocolate-type of mom or grandma.    I enjoy the heck out of it now.  :)

Today I'm doing a little research into healthy recipes, especially healthy dessert recipes since I understand regular healthy cooking pretty well.   Funny, I never bothered for myself, but a friend has been put on a heart-healthy regime, and so now I'm motivated to do what I can to help and I am usually asked to bring dessert to our dinners.   A week ago I thought I knew enough, but now I need to find out a lot more about sugar.  Like, is it okay to use agave if you've been told to avoid sugar, or is that just another form of the same problem?   I don't want to use artificial sweeteners at all, so I need to find other ways to make things taste a little indulgent.

Another wedding this weekend, I'll be marrying another lovely, hopeful couple tomorrow.  I hope the weather clears a little by then.  The road between me and the wedding is closed today because of 30 or 40 accidents, caused by the ice and high winds.  

4 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Tony said do NOT use agave. It's like using liquid sugar and is akin to using maple syrup. Better alternatives would be Splenda, which is cheap, and it's sweet, so you don't have to use a lot, or Stevia, with is plant based and better to use.

I loved your story about the hot chocolate.

Barbara said...

I suggest recipes from Cooking Light on myrecipes.com they do a pretty good job lightening things up.

spindelmaker said...

Snowfights. How fun :-) All my nieces and nephews… this might be fun in the years to come! Though it´s mainly just wind and rain here too...

StitchinByTheLake said...

Fun with the grandchildren! I hope to take mine camping during spring break. Your committee chairperson continues to need a little joy in his life. :) This is a good recipe:       
Pumpkin Mousse (WW) 
                                          
Servings: 6


15 ounces canned pumpkin

2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes fat-free sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix 

1 3/4 cups skim milk 

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

2 cups fat-free whipped topping 


Combine pumpkin, spice, and milk in a mixing bowl. Mix until smooth. 
Add pudding mix and beat for 1-2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. 
Chill well before serving.
blessings, marlene