Friday, April 11, 2014

Springing Forward

The temperatures are still below freezing most nights but it was almost 70 degrees yesterday, which made the piles of snow infinitely more bearable!  

The deer are grazing further back from the road now, but not yet staying in the woods where it is still slushy.    

My crocuses sprang up yesterday in what seemed like minutes.   I came home to pick something up yesterday and there weren't any.   Spent ten minutes in the house and when I left again, I had a dozen flowers.    Most of them are gone today, eaten, I think, by the bunny mob that gathers here.

My grief group made the cutest project this week, and I love to watch how crafting takes their minds away from their sorrow, if even for a little while.    My mother used to say that busy hands are happy hands, and there's some truth to that.
I went shooting with a friend yesterday, which always make for a fun day - we work different schedules and shoot together when we can, but not all that often.   He just got a new gun and his wife has no interest in shooting, and he wanted to show it off so I was a perfect fit.    One of those wonderful situations, where I am good friends with both people in the couple, but I generally spend time with them as individuals and not as a couple.   So I had lunch with his wife and later spent the afternoon with him.    Once again, I got some great photos of the 'flash' from his gun.  
 He tried and tried to do the same for me, and we finally decided that my longer barrel just makes my flash less visible.   At least that's my public position.   Actually, I think I just got better photos!   I shot a little better than I do with my usual shooting buddy, but shot much better when I was alone than when he was with me -- performance anxiety?    He says he thinks I overthink it when I'm competing, so that's something to think about. 
I walked every day this week!!    Hold your applause, it isn't exactly a habit yet, and still hard to get myself to do it.    I've set the most minimum sissy goal, too.   I tell myself I only have to walk one mile, or if I have a few extra minutes, half an hour.   The big incentive is that my search and rescue group has set a new requirement that we be able to walk a mile, with full pack, in 20 minutes.   I am not sure I'll be able to do it, because it takes me about 17 1/2 minutes to walk my daily mile without  pack.   And really, I don't much care, because we can also just get a doctor's note and I know I can do that.    But I am trying to keep my eye on the big picture, my own improved health, and this goal at least sets a standard to aim for.

3 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

You look pretty badass shooting your gun! :-)

A 20 minute mile with a pack on will burn a lot of calories - you can do it. Don't wimp out on me.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Great photo you took of your friends firing his gun. It would be hard to capture what you did but this picture turned out great.
I hate your bunnies are eating your pretty flowers but aren't you just happy to see some kind of signs of spring.
We are having gorgeous days with lots of warm temps but now this week it will be in the 30's again for two mornings. Can't complain though because spring is blessing us with some gorgeous wild flowers. If only I could take some amazing pics of them.
I wish I could say I am walking. I am mowing every day but need to be walking like you.
Glad I came by tonight. I must catch up with you while I am here.
I did finally manage to post tonight. As you know my post are few and far between.
Love
Maggie

StitchinByTheLake said...

We have a bunny visiting our yard every day now - I think she's living under the neighbor's deck - but so far she's not trying to eat anything important. :) blessings, marlene