Monday, June 9, 2014

Weekend

A fun and busy weekend!     On Saturday we had our monthly search and rescue drill, always a fun and educational time.  Unlike our usual wilderness searches, this month we had a couple of outbuilding that we could use to set up staging and the command staff -- luxury!  :)   I helped with planning this month, a very stressful part of any well designed search, and was reminded again how much I have to learn!     We will have a debriefing of the drill at our team meeting on Tuesday, where I will undoubtedly learn even more.   

This weekend I also performed marriages for two lovely young couples, the first on Saturday, with blue skies and very warm weather.    Perfect wedding weather!     I wish Erin and Bryan a long and happy life together!

The second wedding was on Sunday, and the temperature had dropped over 10 degrees.  Perfect wedding weather!  :)   The Bride's dad arranged a fly-over with congratulations for the new couple.   Fun!


I should have my sewing machine back from the shop sometime late this week.    I have sewn on and off with a machine since I was in middle school, and have done embroidery and hand-sewing since long before that, but I've never thought of myself as much of a seamstress.   In fact, I've gotten worse over the years and it's been a long time since I've been satisfied with my finish.    So it was an oddly wonderful surprise when the sewing machine repair shop called to tell me that my bobbin case is slightly bent and probably always has been -- and that, the man said, is the reason I've never been able to get my tension right!   I can't wait to get the machine back to see whether I might, just maybe possibly might, be better at sewing than I think.   Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

When the machine comes home and becomes my new best friend, I will start sewing baby blankets and burp cloths for my anticipated new great nephew -- it's going to be a boy!   His big sisters and mom and dad and my sister the grandma are excited!   I also learned last night that my great niece from the west coast will be visiting in early August -- she is one year old and this will be my first time to meet her, so it would be fun to sew something cute to welcome her to Michigan!

This will be another busy week -- work, meetings three nights, and two days of watching the Littles, who will be out of school a couple days before their mom finishes for the summer.   That will be fun, and I am trying to think of clever crafts to do with them.   Busy hands are happy hands, as my mother always said, so no sense complaining that these busy hands are hoping for a day off soon just for quiet.    :)    But no worries, I am sure I will have strength sufficient to the day, and the weather is so lovely lately that every day feels like a good one.   I hope the same is true for you.

4 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Such picture perfect weddings!

Sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy and a lot to look forward to.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Aw love these pics of the weddings.
What an awesome thing to have a fly over. I bet pretty expensive too.
You are one busy lady. I know you will enjoy your time with the little ones. Your right by thinking ahead about crafts.
I have missed you and glad you came by for a visit. I keep praying I will get back into blogging again. Maybe one day soon
Love
Maggie

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a beautiful wedding picture! Things are busy at my house too - had painters here for a couple of days and then had to move back all the furniture and pictures. That took longer than the painting! blessings, marlene

Carrie P. said...

Beautiful weather for weddings. HOw cool to see their names up in the sky like that.
congrats in your great nephew.